George Lopez This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Sometimes, we just need to laugh at the mishaps in life that don't go according to plan. In the comedic sitcom “George Lopez,” protagonist and family man George Lopez does just that. He struggles daily as a factory manager, while trying to keep up with his dysfunctional, chaotic family. George lives a far from ideal life, but he uses sarcasm and humor to make the best of it.

Part of what makes this show a successful comedy is the clashing personalities. George was abandoned by his father and abused by his mother, and this tough childhood resulted in his cynical personality. George has a rocky relationship with his mother, Benny Lopez ­(Belita Moreno), often referring to her as a “short, bitter drunk,” and she has been known to mockingly call her son “princess.” Benny insults other family members mercilessly, but there's something about her feisty remarks that makes the audience root for her.

In contrast to the mother-son strife is George's relationship with his wife, Angie (Constance Marie). Unlike her husband, she had a spoiled upbringing. This sometimes causes rifts between them, and Angie's compassion for others tends to annoy her husband. Angie and her mother-in-law don't get along well, mostly because Benny enjoys mocking everything from Angie's parenting skills to her cooking.

Another factor that makes “George Lopez” funny and relatable is that it deals with problems all families face, but the plotlines and dialogue turn these situations into something we can laugh about. These “problems” usually involve over-protective fathers and teenage daughters. One of George's biggest fears is that his 15-year-old daughter, Carmen (Masiela Lusha), will end up pregnant. George tries to be the best parent he can by helping his son cope with dyslexia and being supportive of Carmen, but an extra dose of humor results because he isn't always the best father.

One negative about “George Lopez” is the racial jokes, especially those about Latinos. These may offend some viewers. But despite this, “George Lopez” is a hilarious mix of dark humor and family drama. The predicaments could be nerve-wracking in real life, but the ironies of the situations make them funny.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

witt,shane said...
May 10, 2012 at 9:35 am:
 i like "George Lopez" as a comedian because he's funny and also hilarious because of all his jokes, I think some just come out for his head or unless he has to read them on a sript but either way he is the funny guy i ever heared and i always watch "George" on TV.