Downton Abbey | Teen Ink

Downton Abbey MAG

January 19, 2012
By RainyWriter GOLD, Redmond, Washington
RainyWriter GOLD, Redmond, Washington
14 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Only the smart, talented, amazing, and insane are remembered in history.


British TV series rarely get noticed by Americans. They're cute novelties, appreciated mostly by closet-Anglophiles. But a historical TV series from across the pond is gaining ground in the States, already earning an Emmy and a Golden Globe.

“Downton Abbey” revolves around an aristocratic family led by patriarch Robert Crawley, the Earl of Grantham (Hugh Bonneville), and his American wife, Cora (Elizabeth McGovern), in the years around the First World War. An equal amount of time is spent on the household servants. While these characters occupy the same monstrous home, they inhabit separate areas, and separate worlds, for that matter.

The first season begins right after the sinking of the Titanic, which claims the life of the family's heir. The audience is immediately swept into a fevered rush to find a new heir and a suitor for the eldest daughter, Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery), whose future is now uncertain. Next in line for the title is a distant cousin, Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), a modest attorney, who has no experience in titular fluff and properness. Feeling slighted by this stranger, Lady Mary subject Matthew to secretive mockery and upturned noses. Meanwhile, the always bustling ensemble of maids, footmen, and household hands are an active part of the family, struggling with their own love interests and frustrations of the strict class system. Regardless of where they stand, they know their place, and it is to serve – and sometimes protect – the Crawleys with the utmost loyalty.

The series is an engaging, highly addictive period drama. Perhaps the glamor of evening dinners and the sublime countryside backdrop together with a stellar cast is what makes this show a stand-out. “Downton Abbey” is a blessed break from the overbearing antics of reality TV, bland comedies, and ridiculously dramatic contemporaries. Also, while it is an ancient story line, the complex relationship between enchanting noble and awkward commoner is played out with lows and highs that remind the viewer of the social expectations and class climbing that still existed during this time.

There's a character for everyone, whether the bitter and conniving footman, Thomas (Rob James-Collier); the overly confident Lady Mary; the jealous middle sister, Lady Edith (Laura Carmichael); the rebellious youngest sister, Lady Sybil (Jessica Brown-Findlay); the overwhelmed common man, Matthew Crawley; or even the nosy grandmother, the Dowager Countess of Grantham (Maggie Smith, who was Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter films).

Despite the extensive cast, the audience remembers each servant and noble's identity. A message that comes through despite the upper-class snobbery is that not one person is superior to another in the grand scheme of life, and everybody has their faults. Everybody matters; everybody hurts.

The show isn't geared to young adults, but there's a lot here they can relate to. Yes, it is a period drama, meaning that hip music and stereotypical snooty cheerleaders are absent. Yet one can be a Gleek or a devout viewer of “The Vampire Diaries” and still appreciate this series. However, comparing “Downton” to a show like “Gossip Girl” would be like comparing Beethoven to Ke$ha.