Once Upon A Time | Teen Ink

Once Upon A Time

December 27, 2011
By Jazzimaniac SILVER, Dana Point, California
Jazzimaniac SILVER, Dana Point, California
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle - and here's a note from my shrink! He says I'm getting better! Last week, I thought I was a toaster oven! ~ Dot Warner


Think of every great fairy tale that you've ever read. Cinderella, Rumplestiltskin, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - what do they all have in common? They all start the same: Once Upon A Time.

Once Upon A Time is a story of people who are trapped between two worlds - the fairy-tale world of their origin and the more familiar real world of a small town in Maine called Storybrooke. Everyone in this seemingly idyllic town is under a curse set by the evil queen - they are trapped in time, never remembering who they are...and there is only one person who can save them. That person, we've been told, is going to be Snow White's daughter - once she turns 28 years old, that is.

Speaking of this evil queen, she has a Storybrooke alter ego as well, and she remembers who she really is. In our world, she's Regina Mills, the mayor of Storybrooke, and it's been that way for as long as anyone can remember. She's adopted an eleven-year-old son named Henry. Henry has a storybook, and he's on to the fact that everybody in Storybrooke is part of that fairy tale. He decides to go looking for his real mother, who turns out to be - you guessed it, Snow White's daughter, Emma Swan...or so Henry thinks. Emma's not too sure that she likes that idea.

There's also the elementary school teacher Mary Margaret, with her hair black as night, skin white as snow, lips red as blood...you get what I'm trying to say here, right? There's a coma patient - nobody seems to know who he is, but when he wakes up, there will be questions to be answered. There's a sheriff, whose past remains mysteriously shadowed. And then there's a pawnbroker, Mr. Gold, who seems to know everything. He seems to be behind every plot point, planning every scheme...just like his fairy tale self, Rumplestiltskin. And Mr. Gold seems to remember a curious amount of things that the curse should have eliminated his memory of...

With multiple plots unfurling and Emma, Regina, and the ever-mysterious Mr. Gold at the center of all of them, you'll have a fun time of piecing together the puzzle formed by different characters, different plots, and even those two different worlds.

Once Upon A Time is on ABC on Sundays at 8pm.


The author's comments:
I am a complete fairy-tale nerd, and my friends and I love watching this together. I want more people to be able to enjoy it.