The Walking Dead

By , new brighton, MN
This is a review on the television show called The Walking Dead based on the comic book with the same story. Both have a wonderfully simple plot about a sheriff named Rick who wakes up from a comma to find that the world he knew no longer exists and has fallen to a zombie apocalypse. He’s busy looking for his wife Lori and his son Carle risking his life in the process (awww), when he finds a group of survivors that has his family in it. They are bent on staying alive. Their determination awes me every episode.

The zombie’s makeup is phenomenal. Every feature of “the walkers” is grotesque and rotting (literally). You can tell the makeup artists don’t slack off on any zombie no matter how little you see of it. From the dead pinkish, yellow eyes, and gaping black mouths to their missing limbs, the zombies are rightfully gory and just plain gross.

The setting of the show is a dying world, but more specifically during the summer in Atlanta, Georgia. In the latest episode of the second season, the setting is an old farm house that looks eerily like the same house from the movie “Night of the Living Dead” by the great George Romero. In the show they really are filming in Atlanta thus making the heat and “torture” of the heat and misery that much more believable. The set is flawlessly recreated with the perfect setting for a horror show.

Even though the plot, make up, and setting is phenomenal, the best part of “The Walking Dead” is the fact that it’s character based NOT zombie and gore based. The show goes beyond people trying to blindly escape zombies, but it gets into the love triangles, family relationships, the human psychological effects of seeing their friend, family or loved ones bitten and become a zombie and having to kill them, or worse seeing them being eaten alive by a zombie. The show does skip back and forth from present to past some episodes especially in the first season, not so much in the second season.

Shane ( Jon Bernthal) is Rick’s (Andrew Lincols) best friend but after Lori (Sarah Callies) thinks her husband Rick is dead she cheats on him with Shane. It’s a deep show with lots of human drama as well as horror drama and the actor’s are awesome at playing their characters and portraying them in a way that the audience can relate to. In short, “The Walking Dead” is to die for and come back alive for more.

minibike1113 said...
Maybe you should talk about some of the negative and not all positive.

babyrex4 said...
I love the walking dead. The acting, setting, features, and characters of the movie are all wonderful and it mixes all together. Great review, but maybe you could have mentioned more about the second season. Can't wait for the show to come back after mid season next month!