Make It or Break It This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Make It or Break It” is a suspenseful, compelling TV drama on ABC Family. It tells the story of competitive teen gymnasts whose only dream is to win the gold – but that isn't easy when they are constantly distracted by gym drama, romance, family, injuries, and friendship.

“Make It or Break It” is set in Boulder, Colorado, at the Rocky Gymnastics Training Center (called “the Rock”) where all of the gymnasts' families come together to support their children's dreams. The plot touches on the constant battle to be the best, with new arrivals who shake up the Rock girls, the loss of friends and boyfriends, families falling apart, and the anxiety caused by possible life-changing injuries. I love this show and find it addictive. And, although I am not a gymnast, I think the plot is realistic and the gymnastics are incredible.

The show has many outstanding guest stars, including Candace Cameron Bure from “Full House” and Nicole Anderson from “Jonas.” This show is unpredictable; it either makes you laugh hysterically, cry endlessly, or glue your eyeballs to the screen as you watch these girls compete in the dazzling world of gymnastics.

Ayla Kell plays Payson Keeler, a determined top-notch gymnast who has to open up in order to keep her dream alive. Cassie Scerbo is Lauren Tanner, the conceited brat of the gym who will stop at nothing to win. Chelsea Hobbs plays Emily Kmetko, the newest gymnast, who lacks the traditional background and faces many challenges. Lastly, Josie Loren is the lovable and innocent Kaylie Cruz, who deals with a disturbing secret, a betrayal, and a new title to maintain. Zachary Abel plays Carter Anderson, Kaylie's supportive and loving boyfriend. After he makes one terrible mistake that breaks her heart, he's determined to get her back.

Although none of the actresses are gymnasts, they perform some of their stunts. They conditioned so they look like gymnasts, which is a huge commitment. “We would work out in the gym where we did a lot more gymnastics training, so we would be … more comfortable on the apparatuses,” said Josie Loren, one of the stars, in an interview with TotallyHer.com. The actresses may look like professionals, but we can't give them all of the credit. This show wouldn't work without the stunt doubles, who are all elite gymnasts.

This show really captures the elements of being a teenager and a gymnast at the same time. The plot is complex and so thrilling that it leaves you begging for more. The story holds a positive and inspiring message: if you really want something, you have to give it everything you have. Dreams aren't just going to come true if you don't work for them. But, if you do, anything is possible.

“Make It or Break It” is heart-wrenching and humorous at the same time. It deals with relatable, real-life situations, even if you aren't a gymnast. I strongly encourage you to watch this phenomenal and enthralling drama about teenage gymnasts fighting to make it to the Olympics.

Ireland1227 said...
Well written review! I love this show, and this will hopefully make others want to watch it! :)

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very good review~ I like that you included the names of the characters as well as the actresses that play them, explaining the hard work they put into to look like gymnasts. This also goes for the credit you bestowed to their stunt doubles who make the show what it is. I love this show and I can't wait for the summer for it to come back. Even though I'm not a gymnast, I am a teenager and this show is one I can relate to with the girls having obstacles to overcome to achieve their dreams. So I th... (more »)

Samlovespuppies replied...
Thank you so much!