New Girl | Teen Ink

New Girl

By AmberMichelle BRONZE, Fort Smith, Arkansas
AmberMichelle BRONZE, Fort Smith, Arkansas

New Girl is a new comedy that managed to beat Glee in viewers, managing over ten million viewers when it aired on September 20 on Fox while Glee only managed eight million. New Girl was able to get an average rating of seven out of ten.

Zooey Deschanel plays Jess, a bubbly and dorky girl who just got dumped by her boyfriend. After the break-up, she moves into an apartment with three men named Schmidt, Coach, and Nick.

Nick, played by Jake Johnson, is getting over a break up that happened six months before the series began. Damon Wayans Jr. plays coach, who will scream at women instead of talking to them. Schmidt, Max Greenfield, is a womanizer, desperate for attention.

After the pilot, Wayans left to work on Happy Endings. He was replaced by Lamorne Morris. Morris plays Winston, an old friend who returns home after playing basketball in Latvia.

Many of the “funny moments” are forced or too awkward and strange to laugh at. Small bits of humor include Deschanel doing quirky things, such as dancing with a potted plant.

One main problem the show has is it moves too quickly. In the first three minutes, Jess was moving in. After five minutes, she had already been there a week. After ten minutes, we knew everyone’s problem. A minute later, their problems were being fixed.

Later in the pilot, Jess was stood up for a date. When the guys found out, Nick canceled his plans with the girl of his dreams while Schmidt and Coach left the biggest party of the year to go to the restaurant Jess was at. When they got to the restaurant, they started singing her favorite song to cheer her up.

The show has potential. If the writers slow down the character development and friendships, the show could turn out well.