Monk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Monk” is a show that does not get much attention; I heard about it from a friend. However, this show about an obsessive-compulsive San Francisco homicide detective is full of suspense, action, comedy, and tragedy. In one show you will gasp, laugh, and even cry as the murder mystery is solved parallel to Adrian Monk's life.

In general, each episode ­follows a pattern, but deeper, long-term storylines provide larger conflicts. This combination allows viewers to start watching it any time and still be able to follow its plot.

For the most part, the show opens with a murder, which is shrouded in mystery. Monk (Tony Shalhoub) then tries to solve it for the San Francisco Police Department. Working under the seasoned Captain Leland Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine) and alongside the childlike Randy Disher (Jason Gray-Stanford), Monk has solved a hundred cases over the years while mourning the loss of his wife, Trudy, which spiraled him into compulsions and phobias. Monk's neuroses give him keen powers of observation, allowing him to solve cases with ease that no one else can, whether recent or from years ago.

In any good detective show there is suspense, but “Monk” takes it further. Since we see the murder at the beginning of the episode, there is the added suspense to see if Monk will notice the clues. However, this show forces you to think, and many times the killer will not be the one initially suspected. Despite witnessing the murder, even viewers do not know who the real killer is until the handcuffs are slapped on. This ­combination of mystery and suspense makes for a thoroughly satisfying show.

There are also action-packed scenes to keep you on the edge of your seat. Like many detective shows, “Monk” has chase scenes, but there is more to the action than a car chase. Monk has pursued a window washer up the side of a skyscraper, gone undercover in prisons, and even helplessly looked death in the eye and persevered. These intense moments keep the show exciting.

Despite the serious aspects of the show, “Monk” has many laughs, most as a result of Monk's obsessive-compulsive tendencies. For example, despite the seriousness of the situation, Monk cannot repress the urge to pull out a marker and make the pattern of moles on a victim's back symmetrical. These lighthearted moments keep “Monk” from being as dark and morbid as some homicide investigation shows.

Because of the death of his wife, Monk is a somber person. This reflects in the overall feeling of the show whenever Trudy is mentioned, or when he discovers a clue that brings us one step closer to her killer. With a plot revolving around death, it is only natural that “Monk” has constant melancholy tones.

Overall, “Monk” is a unique and enjoyable detective show. The plots are thoughtfully constructed, making for incredibly satisfying episodes. There is comic relief, but not without the sadness of life to counterbalance it. “Monk” is a show that everyone can appreciate

Supernova7 said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:37 pm:
I enjoy watching Monk I am glad you portrayed the show accurately:) Could you please check out my work?

BriBriluvhorses said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:25 am:

I LOVE MONK!!!!!! I also love this! Good job!

doctorwhogirl replied...
Nov. 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm :
Monk is an amazing show! I finished it on Netflix a little while ago. Great article! I would definitely recommend the show to ANYONE!