Switched at Birth

What would you do if you found out you were supposed to live a whole different life, have a new family, and experience things that you weren’t used to? That’s what Bay Kennish (Vanessa Marano), and Daphne Vasquez (Katie Leclerc) go through on ABC Family’s new hit series, Switched at Birth. With their two totally different lives, Bay and Daphne are faced with the extremely difficult challenge of realizing who they truly are. Created by Lizzy Weiss, this phenomenal television show is full of drama, suspense, and yet humor and warmth.

Bay Kennish is a wealthy teenager who lives in a high society neighborhood with her mother, father, and brother. Her parents, John Kennish (D.W. Moffett), and Kathryn Kennish (Lea Thompson) are two wealthy, working parents. Toby Kennish (Lucas Grabeel), is Bay’s younger sibling. On the other hand, Daphne Vasquez is a lower-class teenager who is hearing impaired due to a fatal illness. She lives with her mother, Regina Vasquez (Constance Marie). Bay and Daphne find out that they were switched at birth, meaning they were supposed to be living each other’s lives.

D.W. Moffett (who plays John Kennish), said, “I think the reason this show is so relatable is because it’s really truthful. I think this type of series is a classic setup where you get to imagine what your life would be like in someone else’s shoes,” according to www.metacafe.com. I totally agree with what D.W. Moffett said. Switched at Birth is a television drama, unlike many others of its kind. Many television broadcasts are predictable. It’s easy to infer what will happen, and the characters are not easy to connect to. However, in Switched at Birth, the characters are fairly easy to relate to. Each character has a sort of warmth to his/her self, which creates a true bond between the viewer and character.

Switched at Birth has many conflicts that are presented throughout each episode that premier. In a few episodes, Bay starts to form a bond with one of Daphne’s friends. This creates some tension between many of the characters, including their parents. In another episode, Bay and Daphne argue over what their lives would have been like if the switch had never occurred.

As a result of this epic television show’s cast’s hard work, dedication, and great acting, it was nominated for several awards. Switched at Birth was nominated for a 2011 ALMA award (American Latino Media Arts award). Also, it has been nominated for several Teen Choice Awards.

If you’re looking for a television show with a riveting plot, and great acting, you should definitely watch Switched at Birth. It has become a favorite show for me and many others. Once you see Switched at Birth, you will most likely get hooked immediately!

vegangirl0725 said...
I love the article and the show!!

Alexa13 replied...
Apr. 4 at 9:42 pm
Thank you! & I know the show is great!!

Jessica G. said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:58 am
Great review! I absolutely love this show and I cannot wait until it reairs in January. I agree that something about the show is very relateable and you can't help but love the characters.

Casey__Writer said...
Iabsolutely love this article, I think it should be put in the magazine! I also love the show.

Alexa13 replied...
Thank you! It really means a lot!

daddy's girl123 said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 9:18 am
this show is like the coolist show ever!!!

Ksonic said...
I really enjoyed reading this article--it fit so much information in, and I have an urge to go look up this TV show now! I thought it was a nice touch, as well, to get someone else's comment in the review. Thanks for posting this!

Alexa13 replied...
Thanks for commenting! (:

youvebeentoldon101 said...
Great article! I rated it 5/5 stars! I am definitely gonna check this out later on!

Alexa13 replied...
Thanks for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

DreamxLarisa replied...
I like your article! It is very descriptive, and it states so many things in just 6 paragraphs!