Modern Family | Teen Ink

Modern Family

By Larisa GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Larisa GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

With 12.61 million viewers watching the series premiere for season 1, Modern Family is immediately recognized as “one of the best new comedies of the season” by Entertainment Weekly. Uniquely told in a mockumentary format (a style of documentary that is told by a fictional character), it has already set itself apart from other TV shows.
Taking place in Los Angeles, California, Modern Family depicts three different types of families. Jay Pritchett (Ed O'Neill) is married to Gloria (Sofia Vergara), a significantly younger Columbian woman, who has a pre-teen son, Manny (Rico Rodriguez), from her previous marriage. Jay is also the father of Mitchell Pritchett (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Claire Dunphy (Julie Bowen). Claire is an overprotective mother who is married to Phil Dunphy for 16 years (Ty Burrell) and always tries to prove that she is right. Together, Claire and Phil have three children that have polar personalities: Haley, Alex, and Luke (played by Sarah Hyland, Ariel Winter, and Nolan Gould, respectively). Mitchell and his partner, Cameron Tucker (Eric Stonestreet), live together with their adopted Vietnamese baby girl, Lily, (portrayed by Jayden and Ella Hiller in seasons 1 and 2, and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons in season 3). The show’s characters may be hard to follow at first, but as you gradually learn more about the character, you’ll realize that each character has its purpose in the plot.
The show maintains a satisfying balance between family and comedy, which brings out the brilliantly well portrayed characters. Told through the uncommon views of a gay couple, a straight couple, and a multicultural couple, this show will make you want more. It portrays a diverse side of America, and makes us realize that every one of us is exclusively gifted in being ourselves. The fantastic ensemble cast and the wonderful plotlines that Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan exquisitely write make the show worthwhile. It breaks clichés of TV shows that always have characters with stereotypical personalities. Instead, you’ll find that each and every one of the characters is different. Now in its third season, the show has already won 34 awards, and has gotten 56 nominations, including 4 prestigious Golden Globes, with many more awards to come.
Once you become a Modern Family diehard, you may start to realize that the character Lily has grown significantly, since the actresses who play Lily are different between seasons 2 and 3. As season 3 kicked in, the new actress looked much older and taller. Skeptics struggle to believe that she only portrays a three year old. There is an abrupt personality change, and Lily in season 3 becomes more aware of her surroundings, indicating that a period of growth must have passed. However, the period of growth hasn’t displayed itself, since all the characters are still where they had left off from the show. All is made up for however, since Lily has a speaking role in the show now, expressing her personality. Aubrey Anderson-Emmons delivers her lines so well that even a simple "no" makes you smile.
Modern Family is different from other TV shows. Its flowing plot that always has a central idea of families sticking together with a comedic twist brings out the best in all the characters. All of the plots are very well supported, and there aren’t any weak links. This is a fantastically written show that entertains adults and children alike.

james40 said...
awesome article! this shuld be on the magazine! 

lilia said...
I loved your article! It had just enough, and not too much to spoil anything. 

mil1 said...
very nice touch to it !

lilyw said...

hey! i immediately clicked this cuz i luv modern family and i luved ur article! keep up the good work! 

-LW 

LaLaLa123 said...
great job !

prnew said...
cool this makes me want 2 check it out 

Alexa13 GOLD said...
Alexa13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
I really enjoyed your article! It was very descriptive and made me want to see that television show! Great job!