The Walking Dead | Teen Ink

The Walking Dead MAG

January 17, 2011
By Drewp PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
Drewp PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
27 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Zombies are one of the most popular monsters of all time. They have inspired a generation of movies, video games, and books, and have earned their place among other popular monsters like vampires and werewolves.

However, there have never really been any zombie TV shows. That is, until now, with AMC's new show “The Walking Dead,” based on the series of graphic novels by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard.

Before “The Walking Dead” there were only vampire shows – and not scary vampires but vampires who fall in love and express their feelings. The great thing about zombies is they're not capable of emotion or falling love. You can't sweet-talk a zombie; it's either going to eat you or you have to put a bullet in its head.

In a sea of repetitive cop shows and “Lost” knock-offs, “The Walking Dead” is one of the best new shows of the year. It may not have the most original premise, but it's a mixture of many zombie/apocalyptic films that still works because it's something we have never seen on TV.

The action and drama flow well together, and the excellent camera work makes each episode feel like a small movie. The show has a gritty, intense look but at the same time conveys a tranquil and adventurous spirit.

After being hospitalized with a gunshot wound, Officer Rick Grimes (wonderfully played by Andrew Lincoln) awakens to a world overrun by the living dead. Rick is a likable protagonist who always wants to do the right thing but isn't afraid of some dirty work if it means finding his wife and kid.

At the start of the pilot, Rick is shell-shocked and unsure of what to do. He staggers around and cries when he can't find his family, but later becomes cool and in control.

In one scene he finds a horse and rides into overrun Atlanta, almost reminiscent of an old Western sheriff riding into town. As he explores the abandoned towns of a fallen world, he encounters groups of survivors, each bringing him closer to his family.

One of the best aspects of “The Walking Dead” is that it doesn't focus on zombies or survivors killing zombies. Instead it becomes more about the survivors dealing with their own conflicts. This helps build the characters, resulting in the viewer caring about them.

Nevertheless, “The Walking Dead” is still about zombies, which means it's gory and messy. It shows everything, down to the last zombie-feasting scene. This may be enough to keep some of the general TV audience from tuning in, but take away the gore and you've still got a smart, compelling apocalyptic series