MTV's Jersey Shore

We all seem to recognize the cast by their alarmingly orange glows and poofed hair, but is there any doubt that the cast of Jersey Shore sets a less than perfect example for teens everywhere? I will admit that somehow every Thursday night I take part in the ritualized watching of the popular hit show, but as I laugh at Mike “The Situation” ripping off his embellished Ed Hardy t-shirt and pumping his fist into the air, I question the impact that his behavior has on impressionable teens. Characters like “Snooki” and “J-Woww” have created a stereotype for Italian women ever since the premiere of the series, even using their trademark term “guidette” to describe themselves. The show is entertaining and maybe even addicting to some, but problems have seemed to arise from MTV airing a program that is extremely controversial and, to some viewers, offensive.
The main idea of the series developed last year when the first season was filmed in Seaside Heights, New Jersey. Cameras followed around cast members as they spent the summer working and living together at the beach. The reality show caught on quickly and got signed for a second season, which is airing now and takes place in Miami, Florida. Although the show has lost touch with its Jersey roots by relocating, the characters follow the same routine of working together in an ice cream shop followed by drinking for hours upon hours, and ending the night by parading around Miami clubs. Now that the cast is famous from the previous season, the new episodes are crazier than ever before because the cast needs to keep the drama coming in order to maintain the attention and fame. The relationship between characters Sammi and Ronnie has added a new source of drama to the show, creating tension even between the girls in the house. But no matter how wild things get on the Jersey Shore, some teens still put the characters on a pedestal and see them as role models.

One issue that certainly arises from the hit reality show is the influence that the characters have on their viewers, which is primarily teens. High school and college students watch Jersey Shore and think that the behavior displayed on the show is okay to engage in—excessive drinking, tanning, smoking, and reckless behavior are all glamorized by the cast. While browsing the internet recently I even came upon a Jersey Shore drinking game that a few college students created so that, while you are watching the show, you can get drunk just like characters Pauly D and Ronnie. Even the popular saying “GTL” which, according to the cast of Jersey Shore, stands for: gym, tan, and laundry, has become a new catchphrase for some. Just the other day my roommate declared that she was going to “GTL.” Jersey Shore seems to be taking over the television scene in a big way, whether we like it or not.

iluv pickles123 said...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:47 am
cool but idk if i like it

aj182 said...
I like how you had supportive details to your arguments about how jersey shore is affecting teens.

ilovehim_78 said...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:12 am
I love Jersey Shore, but it's agreeable that it could have negative impacts on teenagers and young adults.

SmartBlondeChelly24 said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 11:10 am
I think this reveiw oints out some very good points. Jersey Shore has made an impact on kids these days. I make in mandatory to watch it every night. Although, I don't think the cast sets a very good example for teenagers.

sammy02 said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

sam is awsome

pookiebear98 said...
and i do not agree to any of this

pookiebear98 said...
To be Honest... I am Absolutey in Lovee With Jersey Shore And Agree That They Do DO these actions.. But i disagree because High Schoolers And Teenagers That Ingage In Watching this show Are Not Going to look at this as a Free bee to Enrole In these actions, this is My Opinion Personally and does not affend this post Or alert as A Smart Remark. And Another Thing Is that i am 100% Italian and Just Because The cast from the Jersey Shore Drink, Party< and Smoke doesnt mean that its offensive to The ... (more »)

denise said...

I LOVE JERSEY SHORE!!!!!

but i have to admit it is a little inapropriate with the obssesive drinking and stuff big fan of jersey shore !!!!

Sunshine67 said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 10:30 am
I also LOVE this show.. My parents only allow me to watch this show because they are punished for there actions... or if they break a law..:)

arron199 said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 8:50 am
jersey shore is the best!!!!!!!!

SierraLe13 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

I LOVE Jersey Shore. It is so funny, I really like Snooki and The Situation. The best part is where they go to the clubs and get drunk LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

celeste rocks replied...
i LOVE jersey shore

AmberLee13 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:00 am
Yeah i think that this show is really awesome. It seems way better than any other because its a reality show and it seems like its not even planned out. I also like that it has lots and lots of drama and mostly i like this show because of the humor.

Katie1122 replied...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 8:13 am
This stuff isnt planned out. It just happens and i do agree it has alot of drama that i love!!

Nikki31NM said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 9:59 am
This show is AWESOME. It has everything I like; drama, action, comedy, and stupidity. It's not planed out like a regular tv show. All the fights and yelling and partying are just like most 24 year old behavior or at least thats how it is in my family.

katie1122 replied...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 8:15 am

I agree with u its not planned out it just happens

Ben G. said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:32 am
This is the best show ever.  I like how the guys are always fighting. I also like how the call girls granades.