Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars

June 15, 2010
By Anonymous

While Sara Shepard's books, the Pretty Little Lair series, was both jaw dropping, filled with details, and a very suspenseful book, the TV show lacked to incorporate many of the key details the books did. For instance, one of the main characters Emily, is a strawberry blond competitive swimmer, and therefore has a tint of green in her hair. However in the TV show, the creators put Emily as a dark brunette, obviously lacking the signature green tint. Another point worth motioning, is another main character, Spencer's, hair color, and appearance. Spencer was made in the book to have long blond hair, just like her best friend Alison ( who was murdered in this series). It is known if you read the books, that Spencer and Alison shared a lot of physical traits, and they always had a competition for who had more boyfriends, who was a better sports player, ect. However in the show, the creators showed Spencer as a again a dark brunette who appeared to look a lot more serious than she sounded in the book. Also she looked a lot like her sister Melissa. If you did not read the books, but just saw the show you are most likely thinking that sisters should look alike. You are right but Spencer is not Melissa's true sister. In one the books Spencer goes through a whole crisis where she finds her real mother, and then see's why it is she doesn't look like the rest of her family. This little key detail of her hair color leads into a big part in the story. It is little key details like these that lead me to say that the creators of the Pretty Little Liars TV show did not do a very nice job of recreating the characters to the best of their ability. However, they did do a great job in recreating the settings that this story takes place. It will be interesting where the TV show goes from here.

The author's comments:
I loved the Pretty Little Liars novels and so I was super excited to see the TV show. I hope more people read the books or see the TV show and see all the gripping suspention,and the hard to put down story that these books gave me.