Pretty Little Liars

By , Coatesville, PA
While Sara Shepard's books, the Pretty Little Lair series, was both jaw dropping, filled with details, and a very suspenseful book, the TV show lacked to incorporate many of the key details the books did. For instance, one of the main characters Emily, is a strawberry blond competitive swimmer, and therefore has a tint of green in her hair. However in the TV show, the creators put Emily as a dark brunette, obviously lacking the signature green tint. Another point worth motioning, is another main character, Spencer's, hair color, and appearance. Spencer was made in the book to have long blond hair, just like her best friend Alison ( who was murdered in this series). It is known if you read the books, that Spencer and Alison shared a lot of physical traits, and they always had a competition for who had more boyfriends, who was a better sports player, ect. However in the show, the creators showed Spencer as a again a dark brunette who appeared to look a lot more serious than she sounded in the book. Also she looked a lot like her sister Melissa. If you did not read the books, but just saw the show you are most likely thinking that sisters should look alike. You are right but Spencer is not Melissa's true sister. In one the books Spencer goes through a whole crisis where she finds her real mother, and then see's why it is she doesn't look like the rest of her family. This little key detail of her hair color leads into a big part in the story. It is little key details like these that lead me to say that the creators of the Pretty Little Liars TV show did not do a very nice job of recreating the characters to the best of their ability. However, they did do a great job in recreating the settings that this story takes place. It will be interesting where the TV show goes from here.

blogergirl21 said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm:
LOVE this Sooooooo much and it is so true the book in a series is alwalys better!!!!!(:

blogergirl21 replied...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:13 am :
Can't wait for tonights showing of the show!!!!!! (:

dmoskowitz said...
This is my guilty pleasure show! I only read one of the books but I like the show better!

M-starThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:22 am:
This piece is really good! I must say, the books are amazing! I like the TV show, too. I think the thing is with casting actresses and actors, they don't find the exact type as portrayed in the books. So the little details such as hair color might get left out. The casting committee just wants people who can act good and sometimes it hard to find those types while making sure they fit their described appearances.

crglv said...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm:
Melissa is actually Spencer's sister. Just to clarify. I finished the book series and what it actually is that Spencer's mom was not able to have kids and so they got someone else to carry Spencer. She is therefore related to Melissa and just had someone else carry her before she was born.

liv16 replied...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm :
yeah i know i read the books as well...the books are so much better!! haha

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
any chance somebody can tell me whats the first book called....so i can start reading :) plz :)

liv16 replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 9:14 pm :
the first book is just called pretty little liars. Pretty little liars has a website so check it out they have the order of the books.

Well I love the show! but i've never read the books hmmmm....maybe I should start reading, but the show rocks that's all i gotta say.

teen_queen said...
I absolutely adore the show! I haven't read the books excpet for maybe on or two of them but I hear (SPOILER WARNING) think that the guy who helped hanna sell her purses on the tv show is the guy who killed Alison....who knows?

liv16 replied...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm :
I read all the books, and loved them soo much!! The killer's not who u think (:

Kayla961996This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 8:20 am :
i read some of the books too and there amazing.well, beyond amazing. but i know who the killer is and its an amazing ending. and twist :)

Miss.HollywoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 10:17 am:

Good job explaining, the show is different than the books because it would spoil the show. Who do you guys think killed ali? I think Jason, her bro, everything leads to him. Watch the marathon and look at the details.

The ones close to you end up being the ones to hurt you.

-A

liv16 replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:32 am :
I've read all of the books so I know who killed her so it would'nt be fair to tell you. But it's not who you would ever expect!!

Miss.HollywoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:22 pm :
They changed the show from the book and I think ik who it is... Lucas. I havent read the books.

liv16 replied...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm :
I don't want to tell you. (: but like i said its not who think it is. and yes they did change the tv alot from book. I personally liked the books alot more.

Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:58 am :
who killed her? in da bok wasnt it mona? just tell me it wont spoil it.

liv16 replied...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm :

i'll give you a hint.

Allison killed Allison.

But it was'nt suicide.

Aug. 10, 2010 at 9:15 am :
oh ya! my best friend she read them, she told me about it, She didn't get to all the books. My other friend read them, she had a twin courtney who was like mental and prented to be ali, and the real ali came back and killed her. I sort of think dat could've happened in da show but yet no. Anyway.. thanks for tlakin xD marathon on tonight followed by the new ep WE FIND OUT WHO KILLED HER!!!!!!

liv16 replied...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 10:50 am :
We do find out who killed her but its not the real person.  but yaa ur welcome. (: