Degrassi: The Next Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Degrassi: The Next Generation” is a teen drama that will have you hooked from the first episode. During its eight seasons, viewers have been introduced to Degrassi High School and the stories of regular teenagers trying to fit in. With peer pressure, school shootings, online predators, and cyberbullying, “Degrassi” covers it all.

This show has won 20 Gemini awards, two Teen Choice awards, and six Directors Guild of Canada Awards, and is the highest-rated show on Teen Nick. It gets its name from De Grassi Street in Toronto, and is the fourth series in the Degrassi fictional universe. Although this is a Canadian show, it is watched worldwide and is very popular in America.

The show starts with the lead character, Emma, and her best friend, Manuela (otherwise known as Manny), beginning their first semester at Degrassi High. During season six, Lakehurst, a rival school, burns down and the students are transferred to Degrassi. But they are not welcomed, and this rivalry creates a war.

The show is very believable. Each role is played flawlessly, and the plot lines are extremely realistic. The show focuses on the stress and drama of teenage life, so most high schoolers can relate. What I like about “Degrassi: The Next Generation” is that you really get to know the characters. The series follows Emma from the seventh grade, and she changes a lot. When she goes off to college, we can imagine her as a real person because Miriam McDonald portrays her perfectly.

Each episode has a hook. Sometimes an episode begins with a mystery: there's something that everyone is gossiping about that you don't know. Or one of the characters is going through a financial crisis or a social disaster. Either way, your eyes will be glued to the screen 'til the end credits.

blogergirl21 said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm:
Good writing but this show went to fair and needs to end

Think4Ever said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 11:12 pm:
I've seen every episode of this show. Right now, it's still exciting and the perfect teen show, but in the first few seasons was where it was at its best. This show goes into the mind of a teenage and brings all of our hopes and fears to life.

PAPAgotgroove said...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 1:21 am:
Degrassi is an amazing show and has been running for quite some time now. Although I have to admit the acting isn't top quality, the problems are quite easy to relate to. Despite the cliche shows out there that present the same conflicts, I think Degrassi delivers it in a unique and life changing manner.

stargazinggirl said...

i love degrassi!  i've only watched is season 10- but one day i want to watch all the others!

christmas holiday project anyone? 

NeverEnding... said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm:
i dont have teen nick anymore so i cant watch the new episodes! uggghhhh im so annoyed! Degrassi is the best show out there in my opinion

pixie5 said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:41 am:

Degrassi is my favorite show ever! I've been watching it since like 2003.  theres so much drama and it's so original. Can't wait till the new season:)

jennjenn replied...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm :

hey it's me, the writer! :D

thanks for reading and i know right! I love degrassi:D i can't wait till they start airing degrassi: the boiling point :D

pixie5 replied...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm :
Me two, i can't wait!  

pixie5 replied...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm :
me to:) I can't wait!

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm :
Oh yeah I've watched some of the episodes. I know what Teen Nick's channel is on direct TV but, what's the channel number for Cox cable? If anyone knows then please tell me.