Degrassi: The Next Generation | Teen Ink

Degrassi: The Next Generation MAG

January 25, 2010
By Jennifer Li BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Jennifer Li BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Degrassi: The Next Generation” is a teen drama that will have you hooked from the first episode. During its eight seasons, viewers have been introduced to Degrassi High School and the stories of regular teenagers trying to fit in. With peer pressure, school shootings, online predators, and cyberbullying, “Degrassi” covers it all.

This show has won 20 Gemini awards, two Teen Choice awards, and six Directors Guild of Canada Awards, and is the highest-rated show on Teen Nick. It gets its name from De Grassi Street in Toronto, and is the fourth series in the Degrassi fictional universe. Although this is a Canadian show, it is watched worldwide and is very popular in America.

The show starts with the lead character, Emma, and her best friend, Manuela (otherwise known as Manny), beginning their first semester at Degrassi High. During season six, Lakehurst, a rival school, burns down and the students are transferred to Degrassi. But they are not welcomed, and this rivalry creates a war.

The show is very believable. Each role is played flawlessly, and the plot lines are extremely realistic. The show focuses on the stress and drama of teenage life, so most high schoolers can relate. What I like about “Degrassi: The Next Generation” is that you really get to know the characters. The series follows Emma from the seventh grade, and she changes a lot. When she goes off to college, we can imagine her as a real person because Miriam McDonald portrays her perfectly.

Each episode has a hook. Sometimes an episode begins with a mystery: there's something that everyone is gossiping about that you don't know. Or one of the characters is going through a financial crisis or a social disaster. Either way, your eyes will be glued to the screen 'til the end credits.