Green Acres: A Television Classic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Green Acres" is about a Manhattan attorney, Oliver Wendell Douglas, who has a dream: he wants to run his own farm and get away from "the rat race of the city." However, his wife, Lisa, and his mother never take him seriously until he buys Green Acres, a rundown farm in a small rural town called Hooterville. Lisa reluctantly agrees to live there for six months, but wants to move back to New York the minute they arrive. They stay, but wear three-piece suits and designer gowns around the farm.

This show may sound like an average rural sitcom of the 1960's, but it is a hilarious and often bizarre contrast of country folk and city slickers.

Many of the situations that arise are really offbeat. In one episode, a little boy named Dinky Watson sells Lisa a moon rock and claims that he built a rocketship and flew to the moon before anyone else. Oliver later discovers that it really was a moon rock. In addition to weird episodes, there are also weird running gags. The Hooterville Phone Company never hooks up the Douglases' phone so they're always making calls from atop a telephone pole.

"Green Acres" originally ran on CBS-TV from 1965 to1971. Eddie Albert plays Oliver and Eva Gabor, sister of Zsa Zsa, plays a fantastically dizzy Lisa. Her Hungarian accent and references to her father, "the king," add much to the show.

On November 5, 1989, "Nick At Nite" aired a "Green Acres" special with five of the original cast members to kick off their showing of the series. "Green Acres" can be seen every night at 9: 00 on "Nick At Nite" on cable TV. Watch it once and you'll be hooked.n

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

SaddleShoeGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm:
I love Green Acres! It is one of my favorite TV shows, and I've seen just about every episode! I like watching all these old TV shows, they are a lot of fun!