Saturday Night Live: A Show In Decline This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Saturday Night Live" is not the same show that it once was. During the prime years of SNL stars including Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase and John Belushi were constantly creating new, fresh skits which were funny and brought the show to life. But now the weekly comedy show struggles to come up with a single funny scene, and original skits now come few and far between. As the hour-and-a-half show moves along, it seems to lunge for a laugh or a chuckle. Despite the good acting and the interesting hosts, the humor is simply not there. As the ratings continue to drop, the show must find a solution to its growing problem of lack of funny material. Until then, it will probably get worse. "Saturday Night Live" can be seen on NBC on Saturday nights from 11: 30 p.m. - 1: 00 a.m.

Dr.JonesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm:

I used to agree wholeheartedly with you, but after sitting down and watching the first few seasons in their entirety, I saw something different.

I think the earlier seasons with Aykroyd, Chase, and Murray had some of the funniest sketches in the show, but most of the filler sketches were just ho-hum.  It's kind of an uneven spread.

These days, that same thing's happening.  It's hit-or-miss, with a big contrast in quality.

But I'd say the Farley, Sandler, and Spa... (more »)

hungergames said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm:
SNL is one of my favorite shows. I never miss it!

birdcage2 said...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:31 am:
not true at all you should not have even posted this. you are saying this like it is a fact. NO! it is simpley an opinion. the show is halarious

TinaFeyfan said...
To some extent this is true.  The older casts where funny and the current sketches are not what they use to be. However, every now and then the show comes up with agreat sketch. The Miley Cyrus episode and the Zach G. sketch were perticulary funny.Also, weekend update has always be enternaing and hope that it will stay as funny. I hope that SNL will get a great wake up call and give up an episode that makes all cry with laughter. 

birdcage2 replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:32 am :
weekend update rocks

yanaz said...

Sadly, I completely agree. Ever since Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Amy Pohler, and a few other outstanding writers and cast members left, SNL just hasn't been the same. 

Having said that, I love Stefon.

birdcage2 replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:33 am :
i love stafon and i absoultuly love seth meyrs ( my celeb crush) ( i am a girl  not  a boy)

resilva This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree, SNL has definitely lost what used to be so funny. Occasionally there's a good laugh, but SNL is now just like popular music of today--almost dead.