Melrose Place This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Melrose Place is the Fox television show that captured the hearts and minds of Generation X'ers. It is a hip, fashionable show aimed at teenagers and twenty-somethings. Everybody has perfect hair, houses, faces, figures, careers and clothing. Who can resist this appeal? I unabashedly admit to being an avid watcher and die-hard fan. To some people's surprise (or dismay), I am one of many.

The attraction I feel toward this program isn't only superficial. Monday after Monday I witness the trials and tribulations of the denizens of the luxury apartment complex. I find myself moved by their various storylines, and looking at what they're wearing is only a fringe benefit.

One of my favorite things is the constant cracking of insults. In one episode, Amanda tells a spoiled Brooke: "Why don't you do all of us a favor and wise up." Later, when Brooke confronts Alison about an alleged rendezvous with her father, Alison remarks: "If you're so interested in other people's sex lives there are 976 numbers for that."

Some disregard "Melrose Place" as mind-numbing foolishness. I'm not completely blind to that criticism. The storylines are sometimes too fast-paced for my satisfaction. For instance, one character was diagnosed with and cured of cancer in three weeks. Another one was falsely accused of murder one week and acquitted the next. These quick-fixes to seemingly impossible problems are not all too disheartening. If "Melrose Place" closely resembled real life, who would want to watch it? .