The Secret Life of the American Teenager

You know the feeling you get when you see a well-made TV show, with great acting and an intriguing plot? Be prepared to bid adieu to that wonderful emotion before you sit down to see the atrocious monstrosity of a television show that is “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” Created by Brenda Hampton in 2008, “Secret Life” makes it a goal to find any teenage cliché and exploit it – various times.

The show centers around 15 year-old Amy Juergens, a teenager who is saddled with an unplanned pregnancy. Though Amy only does the deed once, it turns out that once is more than enough for her uterus to start cooking up a baby. The first season follows her pregnancy, and the second season – so far- chronicles her exploits as a teenage mother.

If ABC Family's purpose in airing this show was to send teenagers the message that all teenagers are immature, whiny, sex-driven animals, they struck gold. Amy Juergens is the very picture of selfish immaturity; ninety percent of the show is centered on her whiny, judgmental comments. There are no redeeming qualities whatsoever in this character, a sad fact that ruins the already comatose show.

Maybe if “Secret Life” had semi-decent acting, it would be more interesting. No, instead, we get dull, scripted actions that simply increase the growing urge to bash your head against the TV. What started as a follow up to increasingly popular films such as Juno turned into a stilted, abysmal joke of a show. If there was ever a show that jumped the shark before it even began, this would be it. However, if you have a hunger for shows that drag, and characters that whine almost as much as the overpaid actors that play them, then “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” is for you!

Giraffe2234 said...
I do not like the secret life but i like watching just so i can laugh at amys charater and her acting. all that show is about teenagers having sex and then crying about had they had sex.

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 12:25 am :
Thanks for reading & commenting even though you think otherwise, ButtercupBby.

. replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 6:06 pm :

Dear ButercupBby,

Please tell me what you were smoking when you watched the show if you actually thought the acting was good...