The Secret Life of the American Teenager

You know the feeling you get when you see a well-made TV show, with great acting and an intriguing plot? Be prepared to bid adieu to that wonderful emotion before you sit down to see the atrocious monstrosity of a television show that is “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” Created by Brenda Hampton in 2008, “Secret Life” makes it a goal to find any teenage cliché and exploit it – various times.

The show centers around 15 year-old Amy Juergens, a teenager who is saddled with an unplanned pregnancy. Though Amy only does the deed once, it turns out that once is more than enough for her uterus to start cooking up a baby. The first season follows her pregnancy, and the second season – so far- chronicles her exploits as a teenage mother.

If ABC Family's purpose in airing this show was to send teenagers the message that all teenagers are immature, whiny, sex-driven animals, they struck gold. Amy Juergens is the very picture of selfish immaturity; ninety percent of the show is centered on her whiny, judgmental comments. There are no redeeming qualities whatsoever in this character, a sad fact that ruins the already comatose show.

Maybe if “Secret Life” had semi-decent acting, it would be more interesting. No, instead, we get dull, scripted actions that simply increase the growing urge to bash your head against the TV. What started as a follow up to increasingly popular films such as Juno turned into a stilted, abysmal joke of a show. If there was ever a show that jumped the shark before it even began, this would be it. However, if you have a hunger for shows that drag, and characters that whine almost as much as the overpaid actors that play them, then “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” is for you!

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

That's true- the show is horrific. Many age-discriminatory people I meet refer to the Secret Life of an American Teenager when they're trying to prove that I'm a dumb juvenile delinquent on drugs. It's pointless and it makes teens look bad.

Besides that, your article was absolutely amazing. I agree with you on every point and each sentence was well-structured, your vocabulary is very varied, and the organization of your review kept me hooked. Great review and I would love to read more ... (more »)

Valery5 replied...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 11:59 am :
great acticle and i dont know i kind of think the show is good well the first season was the 2nd one is boring they should had stop at the first.

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 12:23 am :
Thank you, magic-esi, for your kind words! I'm flattered that you liked it so much!

Savor~the~Moment This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 7:14 pm:
What gets me about this show is the other girl that's dating the guy that got Amy pregnant does it like every night, and Amy did it one flipping time and, oopsie, "I'm preggers!" But i loved your vocabulary and the fact that I thought u were a huge fan of the show and it turns out that u hate it. :)

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 12:24 am :
Glad you enjoyed it!

delilahsky This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 4:05 am:
Ok, before I finished reading your article, I thought it was going to be a complimentary one- it wasn't, but that's ok. I agree on some of your points, that the show is ignorant at times. Personally, I haven't watched it recently but for a while I did, and for a while it was one of my favorite tv shows.
May I just say that you are a wonderful writer! Your vocab is impressive, and unlike some young writers, it doesn't sound forced.
Kudos.

BasketballChick5 said...
Mar. 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm:
I hate this show its so annoying its all about sex nothing more nothing less and how they regreat doing and why did they did it but guess what you did so!

fun size replied...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 9:35 am :
I know what you mean! they could make it less crying and everything cause it just gets so boaring that all they talk about is sex! That is there obbsession SEX! Get over it!

BasketballChick5 said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:35 pm:
I think this show is so DUMB....its only about SEX and how they didn't want it to happen! But guess what you did!!!I HATE THIS SHOW~

poohbear2010 said...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 11:08 am:
that show is good and bad cause it shows you the consaquences of having sex

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 11:59 pm :
I completely agree with you - there is a big benefit to showing the consequences of having sex . It's more the way that it is all portrayed that gets to me. Thanks for commenting!

Black-Widow said...
Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:17 am:
Ok that show is so dumb if you think about it, it makes Americans seem all bad and stuff. i mean i dont really like how we are doing stuff here but this show just doesnt serve any purpose to me. I'm sorry for the people that actualy like this show but how many people really do ok.

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Jan. 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm :
Thanks for commenting; glad someone feels the same.

KaplunkyMonkey said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:48 am:
Glad to know i'm not the only one immune to ABC's latest drivel.

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:42 pm :
Anyone who uses "drivel" in a sentence is a friend of mine. ;D

Giraffe2234 said...
I do not like the secret life but i like watching just so i can laugh at amys charater and her acting. all that show is about teenagers having sex and then crying about had they had sex.

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Jan. 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm :
Thanks much for reading and commenting. I agree. :)

bailey1108 replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 5:12 pm :
I can't believe there are professional writers for this show! It is so ridiculous. Where in the world do teenagers talk to there parents about who they just slept with???!!! I watch this show to make fun of it! The acting is atrocious. The writing is amateur and surreal! I'm so glad there are people out there who noticed.

katy_valentine replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm :
Haha, me and my three best friends switch houses every Monday night to watch this show. Our purpose? To mock it. It's just so much fun! There are so many opportunities! What could have been an insightful look at the trials of teenage motherhood turned into a poor portrayal of high schoolers and their parents alike. But making fun of it kind of makes it worthwhile. Loved the review!

Prosaic-Scriptor replied...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:46 pm :
Thanks for the feedback!

ButtercupBby replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 9:35 am :
i love the show, no matter what anybody thinks and my friends that watch it like it also. So what if the girl gets pregnant . Its NOT all about sex , apparently you didnt watch the whole thing. i been watching since the 1st season and i still love the show, the acting is not bad. SO WHAT if they talk to their parents about their sex life, thats no big deal, maybe their parents are the biggest influence in their lives.