The Secret Life of the American Teenager

You know the feeling you get when you see a well-made TV show, with great acting and an intriguing plot? Be prepared to bid adieu to that wonderful emotion before you sit down to see the atrocious monstrosity of a television show that is “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” Created by Brenda Hampton in 2008, “Secret Life” makes it a goal to find any teenage cliché and exploit it – various times.

The show centers around 15 year-old Amy Juergens, a teenager who is saddled with an unplanned pregnancy. Though Amy only does the deed once, it turns out that once is more than enough for her uterus to start cooking up a baby. The first season follows her pregnancy, and the second season – so far- chronicles her exploits as a teenage mother.

If ABC Family's purpose in airing this show was to send teenagers the message that all teenagers are immature, whiny, sex-driven animals, they struck gold. Amy Juergens is the very picture of selfish immaturity; ninety percent of the show is centered on her whiny, judgmental comments. There are no redeeming qualities whatsoever in this character, a sad fact that ruins the already comatose show.

Maybe if “Secret Life” had semi-decent acting, it would be more interesting. No, instead, we get dull, scripted actions that simply increase the growing urge to bash your head against the TV. What started as a follow up to increasingly popular films such as Juno turned into a stilted, abysmal joke of a show. If there was ever a show that jumped the shark before it even began, this would be it. However, if you have a hunger for shows that drag, and characters that whine almost as much as the overpaid actors that play them, then “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” is for you!

Brooks said...
Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:57 am:
ok that show is so awsome that is one of my favorite show's!!

Smarticals101 said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:25 am:
I totally agree with you.

Emmmmmie said...
Soooo... i LOVE this show. i honestly do. i just love all the drama, and the little fights, and the stupid things they do that they later "regret". But after reading this review i laughed sooooo hard. this is honestly so true, but this is why i love it. the acting is the worst,but although the acting IS horrible, the points are whats true. I look forward to monday nights on ABC Family, and every new season. I love the first days and the last days of the season when they play all the shows all da... (more »)

RedStory said...
This made me laugh so hard. The show has made it's message obviously clear: don't have sex, cause you will get pregnant, and die. (Mean Girls reference). The characters have no substance whatsoever; all they ever seem to do on this show is have sex or talk about having sex. I know that is what people think actually occupy a teenagers mind 24/7, I just didn't think they would make a show about it. It feels as though the actors are just reading off a telepromptor; all they ever do is cite their li... (more »)

gemar said...
Although you have some good points, i pretty much completely disagree. Yes this show presents some bad influence, and has whining, but the show itself, as a WHOLE is good. I believe that even though you have a bad influence there, doesnt mean you have to repeat it? I mean, anyone who has good morals and is strong can avoid situations like these, or if they are in these situations, just be able to say "No"! I hope i did not offend anyone by this, this is just merely my opinion. But a nicely writt... (more »)

boo2 said...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:13 am:
this an't just for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BreakMyEmotions said...

Honestly, I love this show. The plot sucks and so do the actors and actresses; though, I do feel they've gotten better over the years.

The reason why I love this show is because it can be so bad and overly dramatic and full of cliche that it ends up being hilarious; I end up cackling to myself.

Boy, I love this show.

Skreid said...
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR WRITING THIS.  My friend made me watch it with her and the entire time I felt like i was just going to die because this show was so bad.  Finally someone understands!

ShontelleSymone said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm:
Oh I hate shows like these! They give off the messege that its okay to be pregnant at age 16! C'mon America, where is your dignity? Or did that go out the window with pride, rights, and love?

birdcage2 said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm:
this show is the worst. its so cheesey the acting sucks and it like dr, phil. ugh its like being in health class or something.  no one likes this show but little kids who are ganna get pregnet at 16

beautifuldisaster18 said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 12:28 am:
Teenage pregnancy is a big deal nowadays and I believe the show was created to show, in someway, what it's like dealing with that. Yes, Amy may e selfish. But we're all selfish. Even when you have a baby you will still have natural selfish tendencies. They don't just go away. In the show Amy is fifteen. She doesn't know what to do. She's learning! She would be just like most teenage mothers in reality.

kirakhazelwood said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:48 pm:
DAREN KAGASOFF IS HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freeflow23 said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm:
I appreciate this review. I wish I would've read it before trying to watch the show.

xoshannyloveuoxx said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:15 am:
I just saw the new one last night it was sooo good

merryMari said...
May 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm:
Oh my gosh I totally agree with you!  I hate that show but watch it if nothing better is showing in the world of cheesey re-runs we call TV.  Every character is stupid except for Ben's dad andeven he has his dumb moments.

Bridgeyy said...
the first season is the only one kind of worth sitting through. the rest are lame and drug on. Amy is supposed to be a mother, but she shows how not to be a mom. sorry, but when you have a kid, you give up your selfish ways. i know this is a show, but this is kind of a bad example for teens to follow.  they didn't show her mature and grow up, she stayed immature and got what she wanted. no offense but you cant have your cake and eat it too. 

hiddenangelz211 said...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 11:02 am:
I actually am a huge fan of this show but I mean it relly is getting ridiculous! Another pregnant teenager on the show! XP Its slowly becoming a dull boring predicyable show! ABC Family seriously needs to rethink their ideas for a "#1 Tv Series"! But I think you are a great writer and you covered the show perfectly!

ama1013 said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm:
i love this show! wouldn't miss an episode for the world...well not rly but yeah lol

kirakhazelwood replied...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm :
Lol, I agree!! I love SLOTAT!! It's my favorite show ever!!

Amber120 said...

I THIS SHOW ALL THE DRAMA IS SO COOL ONE DAY I M GOIN TO TRY RO ADDITION