The Secret Life of The American Teenager | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of The American Teenager

August 2, 2009
By c_cole SILVER, Miami, Florida
c_cole SILVER, Miami, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

When this show first aired a year ago, I didn't think that I would like it as much as I do.
"The Secret Life",which stars 80's icon Molly Ringwald,Daren Kagasoff, Mark Derwin, India Eisley, Greg Finley II, Kenny Baumann,Megan Park, and Francia Raisa, follows Amy Juergens,a high school band geek(played by actress Shailene Woodley)that gets pregnant by the school's bad boy drummer,Ricky(played by Daren Kagasoff)in "one night at band camp". Amy soon faces the challenges of a expectant teen, like telling her family, for instance. My favorite character is Amy's sister,Ashley(Eisley). Despite her lack of emotion towards everything, she holds the family together. This show is definitely different from the cliche high school sitcom, especially the fact that it isn't the typical cheerleader-pregnant-by-her-football-player-boyfriend story. In this show the cheerleader and her football player boyfriend(Park and Finley II) are the only Christians of the show, and the majorette(Raisa) is the skank that sleeps with the drummer. After all of that, my only problem is Amy's boyfriend,Ben (Baumann) whose dad is rich because of a sausage business, has very clingy, we're-only-15-but-I-wanna-marry-you-and-take-care-of-your-kid attitude is just annoying. Other than that, the show is amazing.
The Secret Life of The American Teenager is now in its second season and Amy is juggling teen motherhood. The show is airs Mondays at 8/7c on ABC Family.