Ruby and the Rockits | Teen Ink

Ruby and the Rockits

July 22, 2009
By GoldenGirl PLATINUM, Vashon, Washington
GoldenGirl PLATINUM, Vashon, Washington
41 articles 31 photos 116 comments

The Cassidys rocked the set of ABC Family's new comedy televisions series Ruby and the Rockits. Playing the roles of two former 80's rock stars, David and Patrick Gallagher, the Cassidy brothers took modern television and twisted it into something new, different, and strangely exciting, something that viewers of all ages could enjoy. Those of you who remember David Cassidy in 'The Partridge Family' will certainly get a kick out of him in Ruby and the Rockits, still singing and still dancing, before you know it you'll be singing 'I Think I Love You' to your T.V. set all over again. As for the younger viewers, you'll see Alexa Vega (Ruby), and remember her performance in 'Spy Kids', starring as a kid in her early teens as the child of two retired spies. Either way, we thought the actors were out of sight, but they came back strong, settling onto the set of Ruby and the Rockits, ready to become famous all over again.

The pilot was certainly exciting, carving a series of paths that the show could choose to follow, but not so much that the plot becomes overwhelming. Ruby's arrival is what makes the show an actual show, never mind what David and his brother Patrick's family was like before. When Ruby bounces into the picture with passion and enthusiasm for the construction of a happy family, she becomes the glue that holds the family together, breaking the chain of resentment that once bound David and Patrick, and bringing with her a lively energy that lifts the spirits of the pessimistic older son of Patrick, Jordan Gallagher (Austin Butler).

Ruby and the Rockits is a ground-breaking new show, it's the future, taking a bold step where no television show wants to go, testing the limits on what's appropriate on a family television by starting out the show with Jordan already having a crush on Ruby; who is also his cousin. Where will they go with this? And how will the show last when they get there? I'm pleased with the fact that they'd make such a bold move, wherever that move will take them. I predict that the nature of the show will pay off.
Whether you're watching the show because your teenage daughter is dragging you into its appealing plot, you're a teenager yourself, or you're reminiscing about the days of the Partridge family and just want to see David Cassidy's face on T.V. one more time, Ruby and the Rockits is a show worth watching. I see its potential. The Rockits have launched, Alexa Vega and the Cassidy brothers aboard, ready to leave fire and make history.