Designated Survivor | Teen Ink

Designated Survivor

By lucylindahl SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
lucylindahl SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“During the State of the Union, one cabinet member is taken to an undisclosed location. In the event of a catastrophic attack on our government, that cabinet member becomes our new President. They are known as the Designated Survivor.” These words begin the first episode of “Designated Survivor” in season one. Seconds later, the TV and all other federal devices cut out—no oncoming news. No signal. No contact. After catastrophe strikes, one man is faced suddenly with a responsibility that would affect the entire United States of America. I was both surprised and intrigued by the urgent tone of “Designated Survivor” following the attack on Capitol Hill and the members of Congress. “Designated Survivor” is an extraordinary show, especially for those who love suspense. The characters, setting, and overall ties to real life and its challenges contribute to “Designated Survivor’s” flawless writing. 

“Designated Survivor” is a political thriller drama set in Washington D.C. around 2021. The series revolves around newfound President Thomas Kirkman. During the State of the Union address, the President chooses one cabinet member to take to an undisclosed location. At the time, Tom Kirkman was the Secretary of Urban Housing and Development (HUD) and thirteenth in line for the Presidency. As HUD Secretary, Kirkman was thought only of as the man behind increasing equity and improving customer experience. At forty-nine, Kirkman, played by Keifer Sutherland, was the father of two children: Leo and Penny. Leo is a seventeen-year-old teenage boy trying to figure out life. While his younger sister Penny, eight years old at the time, worried about everything from when her parents would be home that night to how she would fall asleep without them. Kirkman is very relatable based on his laid-back, charming personality. Characters like Tom and other members of the cabinet help to play a major role in the setting. 

This Netflix series is based on a story that makes the viewer wonder what would happen if a catastrophe affecting the Capitol occurred. It is set in modern-day Washington D.C., involving Capitol Hill and the White House. The directors portray the scenes of the Oval Office and the never-ending halls of the white house beautifully, creating realistic images that the observer can follow. Every episode involving the White House is orderly and tense. In “Designated Survivor,” the directors created realistic scenes by having the Secret Service and FBI wandering the halls following the President’s every move and even fitting in “Press” conferences. Helping the audience to see all of the different places the show takes place and create a map of the surrounding areas. “Designated Survivor's” setting helps create a new understanding of the show and illustrates how challenges and real life happen.

Paul McGuigan, director of “Designated Survivor”, portrays the life of Tom Kirkman and the quest to solve what happened to the Capitol well. This is a relatable show because every day we make mistakes that need to be forgiven. Tom has made a lot of mistakes both before and during his presidency. Every episode has some of the same mistakes, like how Congress is never divided evenly and Tom needs to cast a final vote. Having to decide and choose between one or the other is hard for anyone to do, especially when the fate of the United States rests on his shoulders. Tom can’t help but wonder if, after all his time in office, he was meant for the job. “Designated Survivor” is filled with many ties to real life. Its challenges allow people to connect to the characters and what’s happening around them. It teaches a good lesson about how if we allow our values to dictate our decisions we will make the right decisions. Even though these decisions may not be best for the short term they will be right for the future. If “Designated Survivor” has taught me anything it is to go with my gut. The directors and cast have contributed to creating a show that is both easy to understand and intriguing. 

“Designated Survivor” is a flawless work of art with an intriguing blend of suspense and real life, revolutionary in the political thriller drama genre. From the characters to the realistic plot, everything is delicately planned to present the audience with a masterpiece. The first episode says, “In the event of a catastrophic attack on our government, the cabinet member becomes our new President. They are known as the Designated Survivor.” “Designated Survivor” is an awe-inspiring show. Between the mystery of discovering what happened and the excitement in every minute, it keeps me on my toes. To conclude in a few words, “Designated Survivor” is a great show. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Eventually, I’ll even find myself telling all my friends and family about how great “Designated Survivor” is. 

on Mar. 11 at 12:30 pm
avery2027 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
This is so good

on Mar. 11 at 10:22 am
RezacKaeda SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
This show is truly amazing!