NCIS Review | Teen Ink

NCIS Review

March 28, 2023
By LucasR BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LucasR BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

**spoiler warning**


A sailor at the port in Washington D.C. decides to sneak off and go out partying except things don’t go as planned as he ends up on the ME’s table the next day. This is the usual opening scene of an “NCIS” (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) episode. NCIS is a great show that I would recommend to anyone for many reasons just a few being that it’s an ongoing series currently on its 20th season; however when it starts to get boring something big happens, the actors are perfectly fit for the roles that they play, and it’s not all about crime as there’s also some drama sprinkled in throughout the show.


NCIS is about a group of characters that make up a team of field agents The original cast of agents being: Mark Harmon as Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Michael Weatherly as Anthony “Tony” DiNozzo, Sasha Alexander as Caitlin Todd, and David McCallum as Donald “Ducky” Mallard the ME. The current cast is: Gary Cole as Alden Parker, Sean Murray as Timothy McGee, Wilmer Valderrama as Nick Torres, Katrina Law as Jessica Knight and Brian Dietzen as Jimmy Palmer the ME, and lots of other character that came and went within the shows 20 seasons. With that said I feel that they also picked the perfect actors for their roles whether it’s Michael Weatherly as goofy and sarcastic Tony DiNozzo or it’s Mark Harmon as the serious, blank face, and emotionless LJ Gibbs. I can’t imagine anyone else playing these roles.


Like I said before the show is currently in its 20th season with 446 episodes aired and when it starts to get a bit boring the producers spicen things up with a significant plot twist to spicen things up. For instance in the season 2 finale, “Twilight” Kate is shot in the back of the head by the double-crossing Mossad Agent Ari Haswari who is also the half-brother of her later replacement Ziva David. But it doesn’t only happen in season finales it happens in every episode whether they get a huge break in a case or one of the characters personal issues interfering with work.


The series isn’t all about crime either because as I said earlier sometimes the characters personal life interferes with their work whether it’s something from their past coming back to haunt them or something presently happening that could come back to haunt them in the future. For example, as season 7 is nearing a close Gibbs is kidnapped by someone working for Paloma Reynosa, Who happens to be the daughter of the late Pedro Hernandez, a drug dealer that Gibbs shot through the head twenty years prior for killing his first wife Shannon and daughter Kelly. Another instance of this happening is in the season 13 finale when Ziva is killed by a mortar attack arranged by former CIA agent Trent Court. After she dies Tony learns that he and Ziva have a daughter named Tali.


NCIS is a great show for many reasons the ones I listed today, it’s an ongoing series, never gets boring, and the actors are perfect were just a few of the many reasons that NCIS is a great show. It all comes back to the beginning of the typical NCIS episodes because who knows maybe if they had a different format at the beginning of episodes the show wouldn’t be as successful as it is today.