Glee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can we have a round of applause for a realistic show about high school? Thank you.

“Glee,” a new series on FOX, is about students trying to find their niche. And they do – in the Glee Club. Their principal is looking for any excuse to cancel the club (since the last director was fond of flirting with members). Enter Will, the (cute) Spanish teacher and a former Glee Club member himself, who takes over to help the club regain its former glory. But there's a tough road ahead.

With a talented cast – featuring Lea Michele from “Spring Awakening” and Matthew Morrison from “Hairspray” – “Glee” is the most realistic portrayal of high school students on television.

I am gleeful to see this show break stereotypes and inject honesty into its writing. Unlike with Blair Waldorf or Naomi Clark, I can relate to these characters (they don't walk around dropping brand names). They are searching for who they are because they don't fall into trite social categories like jocks, cheerleaders, etc. And what a relief to find a student in a wheelchair (Arty) outside of a Hallmark made-for-TV movie. I feel warmth after watching “Glee,” compared with my desperate urge to buy hairbands after watching “Gossip Girl.”

I'm not a fan of “High School Musical,” yet I enjoy the singing and dancing in “Glee.” Unlike “HSM,” which was directed at preteens, these characters have depth. Rachel is a talented girl who wants to be accepted by her peers and to be special, and Finn is a jock who plays football and endures his teammates' teasing because he enjoys singing. “High School Musical” – cheesiness + real life – unrealistic plans to save the day = “Glee.”

Sure, “Glee” contains some clichés – Rachel is going to fall for Finn – but in spite of this, I think the show will inspire teenagers, and even teachers who have lost the love for what they do. Why? It's honest. It is not extravagant or pure fairy tale.

It's real.

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm:
I love Glee, but um, I don't think every kid in Highschool is sleeping around.  But other than that  love the show!!! :))

ritabelle511 replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm :
I agree with you - Glee is pretty much the bomb diggity. But, with four years of high school behind me, I'd have to say that sometimes the show is pretty faithful to what high school can be like.  There's a lot more sleeping around and that kind of stuff than you'd think! But I do think it's a fantastic show :)

WhiteWidow said...
May 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm:
Gleek since the beginning.  I find this show the best for normal teens.  One key aspect in this show that I've noticed: there are virgins.  Not all teens are sleeping with their friends every other day.  Goodness!

PhillipeThao said...
May 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm:
GLEEK HERE

VanillaDee said...
May 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm:
This is an honest portrayal of how the author see's Glee and I think it is extremely well said. I have to agree with you; I have never been a fan of musicals but whenever I watch Glee, I fight the urge to stand up and start singing myself!

Celeste N. said...
May 13, 2011 at 11:28 am:
I'm a GLEEK!!! I love Glee!!! It is awesome

fosterli replied...
May 23, 2011 at 10:50 am :
I agree. I think they she have something like Glee at our schools. I mean they have chorus class. but they dont have a glee thing. :(

far.from.you. said...
Glee is THE BEST SHOW i have ever seen. I LOVE IT. I love how real it is, and i  love this review because its exactly right.  My favorite charecter is Sam....(HES SO CUTE!) he reminds me of christofer drew... idk why. l0o0l(;

That-Contrarian-Librarian said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm:

Merely stating...I respect your opinion.

Uh...Glee is neither realistic nor stereotype-breaking--if anything, it reinforces stereotypes. While it may be closer to real high school than other tv shows, it's a far cry from normal life.

Grace replied...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm :
I must agree with you. Sadly, the show has gotten out of hand from what it used to be. Please note that this was written right after the pilot aired.

far.from.you. replied...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm :
This show is amazing. IT IS. imma gleek(: lol

lil boo said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:14 am:
this really is a funny show, most people say it stinks but itz rather intertaning i love to watch them sing but on occasion there notes are a little off but other then that i love glee

WritingChick8597 said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm:
This is my favorite show in the world new episode, March 8 8/7c on Fox!

MayDay said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm:
My friends hate Glee, but i like it a lot.

Priya21 said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 9:44 am:
and the day is finally here! YAY! 

muzicgurl said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 11:27 am:
new season comes out after super bowl!!!!! cant wait!!!!

VirginieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:50 am:
This is good to know, I was wondering if i should start watching it, but it seemed stupid. I was wondering why everyone loved Glee so much.

fairytalesaretrue said...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 2:21 am:
i love this series. you know why?because in this series,every cast can really sing. not just lipsync. and i agree with you, that the story was soo true. hope this kind of series last long.

Dubella456 said...
Dec. 22, 2010 at 7:07 am:
I like the article, but I don't like Glee. To me it feels like it's trying to be Broadway on TV. I think it's stupid. (PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION, RESPECT) I don't really understand why people think it's so great.

moon_light_writerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Glee is like my life! =)