Glee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can we have a round of applause for a realistic show about high school? Thank you.

“Glee,” a new series on FOX, is about students trying to find their niche. And they do – in the Glee Club. Their principal is looking for any excuse to cancel the club (since the last director was fond of flirting with members). Enter Will, the (cute) Spanish teacher and a former Glee Club member himself, who takes over to help the club regain its former glory. But there's a tough road ahead.

With a talented cast – featuring Lea Michele from “Spring Awakening” and Matthew Morrison from “Hairspray” – “Glee” is the most realistic portrayal of high school students on television.

I am gleeful to see this show break stereotypes and inject honesty into its writing. Unlike with Blair Waldorf or Naomi Clark, I can relate to these characters (they don't walk around dropping brand names). They are searching for who they are because they don't fall into trite social categories like jocks, cheerleaders, etc. And what a relief to find a student in a wheelchair (Arty) outside of a Hallmark made-for-TV movie. I feel warmth after watching “Glee,” compared with my desperate urge to buy hairbands after watching “Gossip Girl.”

I'm not a fan of “High School Musical,” yet I enjoy the singing and dancing in “Glee.” Unlike “HSM,” which was directed at preteens, these characters have depth. Rachel is a talented girl who wants to be accepted by her peers and to be special, and Finn is a jock who plays football and endures his teammates' teasing because he enjoys singing. “High School Musical” – cheesiness + real life – unrealistic plans to save the day = “Glee.”

Sure, “Glee” contains some clichés – Rachel is going to fall for Finn – but in spite of this, I think the show will inspire teenagers, and even teachers who have lost the love for what they do. Why? It's honest. It is not extravagant or pure fairy tale.

It's real.

Meredith15 said...
i watch the show..well written

iluvowlsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i truthfully have never watched an episode but this was a gerat review, it made me think i knew just alittle bit more about than usual

TaurusGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
well written...!

iLuv:^) said...
Why do you like the show? I feel like you've only repeated yoursef. But I agree that it's a great show X)

DamonSalvatore1864 said...

I am so impressed that somebody is writing about this show. So many of my friends hate it, but I think it is awesome.

Blaine and Kurt Forever<3

lrshap said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 8:30 am
I love glee, good job on this post!

M-star said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 11:23 am
This is a great review. I know so many Gleeks. In my opinion, I think Glee is pretty good.

Preparing said...

Okay, I personally am not a Gleek. I saw one episode and I was done. However, this review was very inspiring and made me want to watch it. Nice job!

I do have to start watching it. My whole school, teachers included is obsessed. I actually had a war with my one teacher about it :) But again, nice job on the piece :)

bryncarney said...
Finally! Someone who gets Glee like I do. I try to explain my feelings for Glee and yet no one wants to listen. Everyone just thinks it's a High School Musical remake - and yet it is so far from it. Thank you!

TheNovaClytie said...
Wonderful article. I love Glee. But my favorite part of the show is that it has people from other cliches all come together like human beings. And i don't feel all 'wow, that girl was pretty *pats on extra concealer in the morning*' after i watch it. We need more shows like that. 

Mariam.J said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

I actually kinda like this show.

I don't come from America, but watching alot of 'American' movies, there seem to be alot of social cliques in high school.

But, I find Glee refreshing. True, Lea Michelle's character can get to you, but all in all, it's a pretty good show and their covers are AMAZING.

Nice article, btw ( :

Madgie said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:53 am

I'd... have to disagree. Glee is very, very cliche. Every character is some sort of sterotype. The character's really bother me. Honestly, not one of them is very likable. All of them are very polarizing characters, with not enough redeeming traits.

I think if the characters weren't so bad, I wouldn't mind this show as much. But I can't go more than five minutes without wanting to tear my hair out at the extremely annoying and bothersome characters. I can't help it.

introducingshelby replied...
I agree... I am a fan of the show (but the Sue character gets old). However, although the characters can be a bit predictable, this is a show about losers. Really. They are nobody's who try to get to the top, but in reality, I think they'll just fall back down to the bottom. Or else they wouldn't be the New Directitions.

ToriMusic replied...
I agree with both of you! predictable, and just the biggest cliche.

iamMonica said...
You know I've never watched this show before because I thought it'd be something stupid and lame like HSM but you've proved me wrong. I think I'm going to watch it now. But problem is that I dunno when it's on. And your writing is amazing, don't stop!!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I started out reading this article thinking glee sounds really dumb and came away with the same feeling.

I don't mean to offend the author of this article. It's a well written peice.

HungerGames_luver replied...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:28 am
September 6, 2011. 8/7c on FOX

Missyninja said...
May 26, 2011 at 11:33 am
I love this show, and your right it's more real and I think High school musical is very chessy and latly i find most TV shows and movies to be chessy. Good job on your artical :)

fosterli said...
May 23, 2011 at 10:48 am
I love this show so much. I watch it every week when its on. I watch them again and again even when the season is over. I want this show never to end. :) <3