Glee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can we have a round of applause for a realistic show about high school? Thank you.

“Glee,” a new series on FOX, is about students trying to find their niche. And they do – in the Glee Club. Their principal is looking for any excuse to cancel the club (since the last director was fond of flirting with members). Enter Will, the (cute) Spanish teacher and a former Glee Club member himself, who takes over to help the club regain its former glory. But there's a tough road ahead.

With a talented cast – featuring Lea Michele from “Spring Awakening” and Matthew Morrison from “Hairspray” – “Glee” is the most realistic portrayal of high school students on television.

I am gleeful to see this show break stereotypes and inject honesty into its writing. Unlike with Blair Waldorf or Naomi Clark, I can relate to these characters (they don't walk around dropping brand names). They are searching for who they are because they don't fall into trite social categories like jocks, cheerleaders, etc. And what a relief to find a student in a wheelchair (Arty) outside of a Hallmark made-for-TV movie. I feel warmth after watching “Glee,” compared with my desperate urge to buy hairbands after watching “Gossip Girl.”

I'm not a fan of “High School Musical,” yet I enjoy the singing and dancing in “Glee.” Unlike “HSM,” which was directed at preteens, these characters have depth. Rachel is a talented girl who wants to be accepted by her peers and to be special, and Finn is a jock who plays football and endures his teammates' teasing because he enjoys singing. “High School Musical” – cheesiness + real life – unrealistic plans to save the day = “Glee.”

Sure, “Glee” contains some clichés – Rachel is going to fall for Finn – but in spite of this, I think the show will inspire teenagers, and even teachers who have lost the love for what they do. Why? It's honest. It is not extravagant or pure fairy tale.

It's real.

rebeckabear said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm:
Why is everyone in love with glee it is just a tv show and just to tell you i think this is completly inapropet i let my 10 year old daughter watch this show with me i am so mad on what the message is. her chorus teacher also wants her to watch it but i said no way we are not going through that mess again. if you watch it i dont care but if you write articles saying that is good you are complety wrong. i thought that this would be a nice tv show for the whole family insted my parents got so mad ... (more »)

CarmelCorn24 replied...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:10 pm :
It is a good show.  True it has its awful episodes, and the plot isn't that great, but it IS like high school.  But at the same time, it's definetly NOT a show for 10 year olds, so, no, you shouldn't let her watch it.  It's directed towards teenagers, which means inappropriate subjects for little kids will be present.

AllofTheAbove said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm:
I absolutely adore Glee! One of my friends said they hated Glee then watched it for the first time and said she loved it. You are great at summarizing!

Devi1sAdvocate said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm:
I wrote an editorial about glee as well! Yours is also very good. I really like your casual writing style. Check out my editorial on glee. It's called "When TV is good for Teenagers"

gleek1234 said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:55 am:
i love this show so much a lot of people hate it but i dont get why its about the real life. and my favorite charectors are kurt sanatana and brittney but i hate rachel berry

Ariya said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm:
I like glee a lot and I think that the way you portayed it the review was extremely accurate

bwilla said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm:
I actually find the show highly odd, at my school over a 1/4 of us are in music and our band members are cooler than our jocks,Our hang out is the library(for everyone,not just my friends and I) s glee is just kinda off for me

CSHCSH This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:51 am :
That is so true. People keep on going about how accurate glee is, and how realistic it is! I'm not saying it lacks credibility, but I sometimes feel its focuses too much on the bad side of highschool. Sure, bullies and discrimination may be a part of the pack, but the drama in the show totally puts me off. High school is not that bad, and although I believe in 'searching for your dream' thing, students should not forget that school is for studying- not for forming cliquey groups and ... (more »)

misfitsquuen replied...
Feb. 28 at 9:20 am :
welli think that they are really good singers but sometimes they run out of good ideas and song sto sing

misfitsquuen replied...
Feb. 28 at 9:21 am :
i think there really good sings its just they sometimes run out of some graet ideas and songs to sang but they sang great

Celeste_N. said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:18 am:
TOTAL GLEEK RIGHT HERE!!! I love glee!! i watch every episode...i love yuhr review by the way!!!

TheLittleMergirl7 said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm:
I love Glee! I watch it every Tuesday. I'm a gleek, for sure! I loved your review, its very true!

sondheimfreak This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 5:31 am:
unfortunately, Glee has gone downhill since this review was written...

gcatherinev This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm :
I completely agree. This was written when the pilot came out. The show is very different now. I cannot say I feel the same way anymore.

JackieH replied...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:17 pm :
hey guys I totally agree and that's what my glee review's about! you should read it, I think you'll agree. plus comments and rates would be highly appreciated. :)

3erf said...
i luv glee !

Rogersright said...
Yes ! love glee your totally right

Izaac96 said...

i want to thank you for inspiring me on writing a review for glee . My article is  currently number one. Don't stop writing ever!(i love your work!)

-Biggest fan

savetheplanet said...
Gleek here!  Yes thank you for the wonderful review <3

RestingEgg said...
I am a Glee fan, but I do not think it is the most realistic portrayal of teenagers. Although it is very entertaining, the melodramatic humour takes away from the serious issues they portray. Yes, the singing and dancing is great, and they do manage not to fall into the catergory of "a cheesy sing-along" (highschool musical), and it has it's moments (actually a lot of moments) where you can sympathize with the characters, but it does not shatter highschool stereotypes, if anything the char... (more »)

Akane-Ree said...
I love glee and watch it as if it were my religeon. But honestly, it's very unrealistic-- they have their realistic, bright moments, but honestly: sue sylvester getting a bajillion dollars of funding for her cheerios? I was watching it in the car on a six hour trip from vermont, season two's born this way episode-- i doubt anyone's going to become that obsessed with winning prom queen. or with, say, the quinn-finn-rachel love triangle? Make up your minds, people. -___- but i do actually like gle... (more »)