Glee | Teen Ink

Glee MAG

By gcatherinev BRONZE, UEP Subang Jaya, Other
gcatherinev BRONZE, UEP Subang Jaya, Other

Can we have a round of applause for a realistic show about high school? Thank you.

“Glee,” a new series on FOX, is about students trying to find their niche. And they do – in the Glee Club. Their principal is looking for any excuse to cancel the club (since the last director was fond of flirting with members). Enter Will, the (cute) Spanish teacher and a former Glee Club member himself, who takes over to help the club regain its former glory. But there's a tough road ahead.

With a talented cast – featuring Lea Michele from “Spring Awakening” and Matthew Morrison from “Hairspray” – “Glee” is the most realistic portrayal of high school students on television.

I am gleeful to see this show break stereotypes and inject honesty into its writing. Unlike with Blair Waldorf or Naomi Clark, I can relate to these characters (they don't walk around dropping brand names). They are searching for who they are because they don't fall into trite social categories like jocks, cheerleaders, etc. And what a relief to find a student in a wheelchair (Arty) outside of a Hallmark made-for-TV movie. I feel warmth after watching “Glee,” compared with my desperate urge to buy hairbands after watching “Gossip Girl.”

I'm not a fan of “High School Musical,” yet I enjoy the singing and dancing in “Glee.” Unlike “HSM,” which was directed at preteens, these characters have depth. Rachel is a talented girl who wants to be accepted by her peers and to be special, and Finn is a jock who plays football and endures his teammates' teasing because he enjoys singing. “High School Musical” – cheesiness + real life – unrealistic plans to save the day = “Glee.”

Sure, “Glee” contains some clichés – Rachel is going to fall for Finn – but in spite of this, I think the show will inspire teenagers, and even teachers who have lost the love for what they do. Why? It's honest. It is not extravagant or pure fairy tale.

It's real.

stephpants said...
this was awesome you go girl !!!

giggles1408 BRONZE, Newton, Texas

Chuck Norris is the reason Edward Cullen sparkles. He roundhouse kicked the fairy right into him.-Original Sarah Davis

I LOVE Glee!! And hey, you cant really blae Rachel..I fell in love with Finn too...but yes, people need to stop being mean to Glee if you dont like it thta's fine but it does not mean you have to bash it.

JackieH PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Don't break character, you've got a lot of heart. ~ The Killers

hey guys I totally agree and that's what my glee review's about! you should read it, I think you'll agree. plus comments and rates would be highly appreciated. :)

spirtualpersonification BRONZE, Glenview, Illinois

"Nothing is impossible, the word impossible says i am possible" - Audrey hepburn <3

lol... nice review! I am a total gleek:) havent missed an episode

Lindsey31 GOLD said...
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota

LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots

I used to enjoy watching Glee, but it has too many cliches and sing-a-long songs. I wish they sang THEIR OWN songs instead of covering everyone else's. I don't know. Also, it IS quite inappropriate so watching it with my family is very awkward. There are some fun parts in the show, but I'm definitely not a GLEE-k.

CarmelCorn24 said...
It is a good show.  True it has its awful episodes, and the plot isn't that great, but it IS like high school.  But at the same time, it's definetly NOT a show for 10 year olds, so, no, you shouldn't let her watch it.  It's directed towards teenagers, which means inappropriate subjects for little kids will be present.

rebeckabear BRONZE, Escondido, California

live life to the fullest

Why is everyone in love with glee it is just a tv show and just to tell you i think this is completly inapropet i let my 10 year old daughter watch this show with me i am so mad on what the message is. her chorus teacher also wants her to watch it but i said no way we are not going through that mess again. if you watch it i dont care but if you write articles saying that is good you are complety wrong. i thought that this would be a nice tv show for the whole family insted my parents got so mad at me for letting my daughter watch this

AllofTheAbove GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

Courage and Caution are not enemies.

I absolutely adore Glee! One of my friends said they hated Glee then watched it for the first time and said she loved it. You are great at summarizing!

Devi1sAdvocate SILVER, West Branch, Iowa
I wrote an editorial about glee as well! Yours is also very good. I really like your casual writing style. Check out my editorial on glee. It's called "When TV is good for Teenagers"

gleek1234 GOLD said...
on Mar. 16 2012 at 11:55 am
gleek1234 GOLD, Burlington, Vermont

You did let me go you left me broken and heartless, crying out for help, with no one to answer my calls-Shilpa Pierpont-Hale ( poem) Love hurts

i love this show so much a lot of people hate it but i dont get why its about the real life. and my favorite charectors are kurt sanatana and brittney but i hate rachel berry

Ariya GOLD said...
Ariya GOLD, Charleston, South Carolina

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
-Alfred (Batman Begins)

I like glee a lot and I think that the way you portayed it the review was extremely accurate

bwilla said...
I actually find the show highly odd, at my school over a 1/4 of us are in music and our band members are cooler than our jocks,Our hang out is the library(for everyone,not just my friends and I) s glee is just kinda off for me

on Feb. 23 2012 at 10:18 am
Celeste_N. SILVER, Balch Springs, Texas

Your just mad that your not a rainbow unicorn with ninja monkeys that can talk to gummy bears(:

TOTAL GLEEK RIGHT HERE!!! I love glee!! i watch every episode...i love yuhr review by the way!!!

I completely agree. This was written when the pilot came out. The show is very different now. I cannot say I feel the same way anymore.

TheLittleMergirl7 SILVER, Des Moines, Iowa

Got it memorized?
Children gotta be free to lead their own lives
Are people born Wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?
Now wait just a clock tick!

I love Glee! I watch it every Tuesday. I'm a gleek, for sure! I loved your review, its very true!

ssophiaa GOLD said...
on Feb. 1 2012 at 5:31 am
ssophiaa GOLD, Falls Church, Virginia

"You cannot operate from a concern of how you're perceived."
--Kevin Kittle

unfortunately, Glee has gone downhill since this review was written...

3erf said...
i luv glee !

Rogersright BRONZE, Thomasville, North Carolina

"Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned"

Yes ! love glee your totally right

ToriMusic said...
I agree with both of you! predictable, and just the biggest cliche.

Izaac96 GOLD said...
Izaac96 GOLD, Jersey City, New Jersey

"Both Poverty and riches are offspring of thought" -Napoleon Hill

i want to thank you for inspiring me on writing a review for glee . My article is  currently number one. Don't stop writing ever!(i love your work!)

-Biggest fan