A New Personality for Superhero Media [Moon Knight Review] | Teen Ink

A New Personality for Superhero Media [Moon Knight Review]

The other Marvel Disney+ shows have been disappointing to me. At their worst, they’ve been hard to watch, especially to try and finish. At best, they’ve been engaging and exciting—and yet I’d always found it strenuous to say they were satisfying, interesting, and quality.

Marvel movies and shows have become a little too homogenous. Most of them are stuck in a formula of the same types of jokes and similar types of storytelling, and audiences can tell. While these movies and shows are good, they all feel a bit too familiar for people to keep themselves engaged.

But “Moon Knight'' is unique. The show stars Oscar Isaac, and… Oscar Isaac. Oscar Isaac plays both main characters in the show, being multiple personalities sharing one body. Other than personalities, he also acts as the “avatar” of an Egyptian God, giving him the superpowers he needs to face the challenges ahead.

The first personality we’re introduced to knows nothing about this or the other personalities in his head, but he is called to action when he gets in deep trouble with a group of people led by Arthur Harrow (played by Ethan Hawke), trying to awaken another Egyptian god into the real world.

Very quickly, the show gets full of things to think about and watch unfold. However, it never feels overwhelming. The show is appropriately balanced, running through a cycle of different scenarios all happening at the same time to keep you consistently engaged, and never bored.

The show overall really serves a purpose as an origin story/introduction to the character. While this does make it feel pretty slow in its early episodes, it shines brightest when it’s allowed to do what it wants and take the audience for a ride, not unlike Moon Knight’s comics. I had always enjoyed Moon Knight in the comics I had read, but I had truthfully never sought out to read an actually significant amount of his comics, leading to an interesting balance of familiarity while still not knowing what exactly to expect.

It consistently surprises the audience, while still keeping itself in the realms of sense that it outlines. Whether it be its hero that’s more crazy than righteous, or the constantly evolving relationship between the multiple people in one head. And of course, not quite being able to tell whether each scene is entirely real, partially imagined, or completely imagined.

“Moon Knight” is pleasant to look at too. Although it’s working with a show budget, and you are able to tell in the fight scenes that have an unnaturally weightec CGI Moon Knight, the rest of it is used really well. The backgrounds and characters that don’t fight look very high quality, and at their very worst are on par with Marvel movies from a couple years ago.

But of course, the writing was what hooked me the most. The story starts with a lot of unanswered questions, and makes sure to keep you wondering about at least a few things even when you’re not watching. But  the show’s writing doesn’t rely on making you wonder. When “Moon Knight'' answers one of the many questions it has gotten you to ask, it answers with unique and impactful storytelling that makes you extraordinarily excited and sometimes devastatingly melancholy. And this happens every episode.

For over a decade now Marvel has been about taking comic characters, whether they be practically unknown or the complete opposite and known to everyone, and taking their best aspects, changing some that haven’t worked, and polishing a character enough to be worthy of being a household name. Although it isn’t the first time this has happened, “Moon Knight” is the most unique and special way of making a piece of modern superhero media.