The Mentalist | Teen Ink

The Mentalist

By 1oestreich BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
1oestreich BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

The Mentalist, a crime television series brings not only mystery but also comedy. This series did a great job of balancing investigations with the character’s personal lives.  The main character, Patrick Jane, helps the CBI with investigations as a consultant. Before consulting, he was a con man who made his money by pretending to be psychic. He has this ability to be able to get inside people’s heads and truly be a mentalist. He joins the CBI on investigations in order to find out more information on Red John, a notorious serial killer throughout the series and Jane’s enemy.

This series not only solved individual crimes but also had returning criminals. This made it more realistic because in all reality the police don’t catch the killer every time. While this show definitely has serious themes, it also has comedy throughout the episodes. Patrick Jane is a consultant, but throughout the series, you see his child-like behavior and different methods of solving cases. In the show, many people who meet Jane are skeptical of his methods, but he always finds a way to solve the case. This is a great show to watch for people who like the shows Psych and Criminal Minds. 

This show focuses on a team in the CBI which consists of Teresa Lisbon, Kimball Cho, Wayne Rigsby, Grace Van Pelt, and of course Patrick Jane. Throughout the series, Jane’s main goal is to find Red John and kill him because of what he did to Jane’s family. Jane wants revenge and while Lisbon constantly reminds him that he can’t kill him because it is illegal. Jane seems fine with the consequences of his actions. All of the titles of the episodes in this series have a reference to the color red because Red John is such a focus on this series.

Overall, The Mentalist is a very interesting crime series that gives a different perspective on solving crimes. It can be found on Amazon Prime Video for free or bought for $12.92. It not only is a crime show but has comedy with it as well. I have liked this show for a while and encourage anyone who likes criminal television to take a look at The Mentalist. 

I really enjoyed this show, so when my teacher told us to write a review for something, I knew I wanted to write it for this.