Blue Bloods | Teen Ink

Blue Bloods

By fulal23 BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
fulal23 BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

Blue Bloods is a genre defining series when it comes to Police-Drama TV. A perfect cast, near-flawless writing, wonderful stunts, and an intriguing premise make this seemingly dull and overdone show amazing ten years after its release. The long running CBS series follows the Reagan clan: a four generation family with deep roots in New York City law enforcement. Starring four main points of view each episode most episodes show Danny Reagan (Donnie Wahlberg) as he solves some of NYC’s most gruesome and heart wrenching crimes. Frank Reagan (Tom Selleck) the NYPD Police Commissioner, deals with the politics and moral struggles that come with being New York’s top cop, while Jamie Reagan (Will Estes) works as a beat cop on New York’s toughest streets. The final point of view in most episodes is that of Erin Reagan (Bridget Moynahan) a Manhattan Assistant District Attorney, and the lone Reagan daughter who has to work hard to make her own name away from her powerful father.

Every episode takes you on a journey through crime, mystery, politics, emotion, and drama, with each episode ending with the Reagan Sunday Supper where the full family gathers in heartfelt conversation and tries to push away the struggles of the previous week. A large supporting cast includes the rest of the Reagan family; Frank, Danny, Jamie, and Erin’s co-workers; and adversaries of the family. Henry Reagan (Len Cariou) gives the perspective of a retired officer and PC who longs for the world to go back to the good old days. Linda Reagan (Amy Carlson) does a perfect portrayal of what it is like to be the wife of a police officer, and Nicki Reagan (Sami Gayle) shows what it is like to be a young adult who wants nothing more than to join the family business of law enforcement but is still treated like a child by everyone else.

The show has been praised for its insistence of filming on location in New York, and this adds a sense of realism to the series. Tom Selleck (Frank Reagan) won the 2014 People's Choice award for the Best Crime Actor for his portrayal of the PC. The series has won 4 major awards, and has been nominated for another 16. Since its release in Fall 2010 the show has been in the top 20 shows for live viewership. In 2013 CBS stated that Blue bloods was the first show in 10 years to average 13 million  live viewers per episode, and though average viewership has gone down to 12.15 million live viewers (probably because of the popularity of streaming services), season 10 of Blue Bloods is the 8th most watched live TV show.

Blue Bloods is a perfect example of a Police-Drama TV show. An amazing cast, perfect writing, and a beautiful set bring every episode to life and fill the series with emotion and action that is unrivaled in the genre. The show is perfect for any teen or adult who is looking for a great show, or someone who has enjoyed similar shows like CSI, NCIS, or SWAT. As with any police show viewer discretion is advised, but for those who do watch Blue Bloods you are sure to enjoy it.

I have been watching Blue Bloods for a few years now and I absolutly love it. I hope my review convinces you to go and watch the show (It is on Hulu).