Why you should watch Danmachi | Teen Ink

Why you should watch Danmachi

By TesuKito GOLD, Sacramento, California
TesuKito GOLD, Sacramento, California

"I look at the world from a different angle
People change; even Satan used to be an angel" - NF

“Danmachi” or AKA “How to pick up girls in a dungeon” is one of the top ranking Adventurous, Romance, Harem, and Fantasy anime, it was written by Fujino ōmori and illustrated by Suzuhito Yasuda. This anime displays the life of a young boy named, Bell Cranel, that has set out on a journey to find a Familia and become an adventurer, and in his adventure, he happens to be saved by someone who saved his life from monster and has developed profound feelings for her and has devoted himself to catching up to her level to stand beside her one day, but putting his endeavors aside, Bell Cranel is surrounded by girls that are fond of him and hence the English title, “How to pick up girls in a dungeon”.

The Gods descended down to the lower world in hopes of finding excitement and inspiration and only the Gods and Goddesses can bestow a blessing to one that lives in the lower world, and once the blessing has been given, they are now a member of that particular God or Goddesses’ familia. The Gods and Goddesses having their powers sealed and seized from using it in the lower world, they live a modest life along with those who also live in the lower world.The Gods that descend down from the upper world or heaven are Gods that come from a variety of different religions and legends, like Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, Far Eastern Mythologies and so on.

When the Blessings of a God or Goddesses are bestowed, they immediately start on Level 1 and the higher the levels, the more divine power that the person with the blessing holds, which levels are what determines an adventurer’s strength and these adventurers go into a dungeon located in Orario, the place where the highest ranked adventurers are held residence. The simple concept of these dungeons hold many floors that of a game and the higher the floors, the stronger the monsters will appear to become. There are also various bosses that sits on each floor awaiting to challenge upcoming adventurers from advancing towards the next floor. 

The animation is so seamless and contains very impressive animation effects. The anime adaptation of Danmachi was produced by J.C. staff. The anime has characters that involves various Gods from real ancient history and the relations and bonds that the characters share and created are also regarding from each character’s previous affairs in history. These characters are also voice acted by people that were also associated with other large mainstream animes and these voice actors play an important role in using their voices perfectly to fit the character’s personality and they portray these characters in the same way as they are portrayed in ancient history. The anime doesn’t only contain a coexisting relationship between only Gods and Humans, but also a variety of other races like elves, dwarves, pallums, and other Demi-Human races. 

This anime has a cliche plot of the main protagonist starting off the story as weak and dependent, and as the story escalates, the main protagonist starts developing strength and increase of the bond of allies around him. The main protagonist, Bell Cranel, raised by his grandfather, Zeus, the King of Gods, tells tales of heroes that inspires and influences Bell to become one himself and how this sets a path for Bell which building character of who Bell is.. yeah.. very cliche. 

I recommend this anime to an audience who indulges in a plot that takes place in another world setting and these settings are conducive to involving magic, adventure, and many more factors that go along with how the plot of the anime is illustrated.