The Goldbergs | Teen Ink

The Goldbergs

By liafaynb BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
liafaynb BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

In a time of blockbusters, jazzercise, and big hair, you could only count on VHS tapes and bulky video cameras to capture the memories of the past. In The Goldbergs, Adam F. Goldberg, the producer and main character, offers a nostalgic and hilarious biopic on his own adolescence, which was heavily influenced by the 80s and his family. In fact, every episode ends with video recordings of the real moments that inspired each installment of the show. 

As mentioned previously, The Goldbergs is based on a real family, one that has their ups and downs, their triumphs and defeats, and plenty of overbearing motherly love to go around. Beverly Goldberg (Wendi McLevon-Covey) is Adam’s mom, a stubborn woman who refuses to let her children grow up on her watch and fights for what she feels is right. Her direct counterpart, Murray (Jeff Garlin) has a rather different approach to parenting. While Murray may seem gruff and indifferent, moments of love for his kids shine through the tough shell when they really need him. It’s shown that he would do almost anything for them too, as long as he doesn’t have to get up out of his lounge chair and put on pants. The eldest of the family is Albert “Pops” Solomon (George Segal). He’s a charming old man, someone who adores his grandkids, encourages them to do their best, and spoils them endlessly. 

As for the kids, Erica and Barry are the ever-feuding, but lovable pair. Barry (Troy Gentile), the middle child, is a teenage boy with tons of crazy ideas and anger management issues. Erica (Hayley Orrantia), the eldest sibling at 17 years old, is rebellious and all-knowing in the latest trends and issues. However, Erica doesn’t exist in real life. She is pretty much the female version of Adam F. Goldberg’s real brother, Eric. In an interview with Parade, Goldberg says, “It’s the spirit of my brother, who is the voice of reason and also incredibly defiant.” Last but not least, Adam Goldberg (Sean Giambrone) is the youngest of the family. An aspiring filmmaker, almost every moment of the Goldbergs’ lives is recorded by him on his video camera. He acts as a mirror into childhood, and reflective of the memories made back then.

An episode of The Goldbergs usually focuses on the relationships between the family members, and how they’re tested through different situations. “Our main themes are growing up and family dynamics, and how things change and how growing up can be so awkward and painful, and letting go of your kids when you don’t want to let go, that’s just so hard,” Wendi McLevon-Covey tells BriefTake. This is one negative side I’ve found through the show. The basic plot of each episode is repeated over and over again. There are certain changes made, but it does seem to get a bit redundant. However, this can be expected with a family based TV show and doesn’t really distract from the overall enjoyment. The Goldbergs never fails to come up with jokes that any audience can laugh at. It can bring comedy, romance, and life lessons into the show and tie it up in one big family package.

The Goldbergs should be a must-watch on your list. Its compelling characters, humor, and dynamics make it a fun and light show to binge any day. You can definitely count on the Goldbergs to make you cherish your own family even more, suffocating mom and all.