Gilmore Girls | Teen Ink

Gilmore Girls

November 18, 2018
By ellen-zomin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
ellen-zomin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pregnant at 16, Lorelai Gilmore, played by Lauren Graham, ran away from the rich life and became best friends with her daughter. She goes through the seven season show as her kid’s advisor and her take-out-food-eating partner. Lorelai and her daughter, Lorelai, ( yes, they have the same name) or Rory for short, don’t hesitate to share any news the second they find out about it. This bond between a mom and her daughter will leave you in awe and wondering how it all happened. Gilmore Girls tells the story of a young mother and her daughter and their daily struggles starting from guy problems to lawsuits and arrests. It will leave you feeling sympathetic for the girl and laughing along to their pop culture references.

    Gilmore Girls was written and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino, who also created the fantastic shows “Bunheads” and “The Marvelous Ms. Maisel.” Originally, Palladino followed in her mother’s footsteps and became a dancer, but quit in order to write television. Her work usually contains a specific style of comedy. Palladino makes tons of references to the movies including “Casablanca” and “Cool Hand Luke.” The Bangles seem to be a personal favorite of Lorelai, her daughter, and a friend of theirs, Sookie St. James (Melissa McCarthy).

    The actors presented on the show, no matter how small, play a significant role in the humor of the series. Kirk, played by Sean Gunn, is portrayed to be a very quirky and unique character, who might be the funniest one on the show.  “Just don’t touch my bottom or I’ll think you have a machete,” is one of Kirk’s lined from the show. This line and others, too, demonstrate that Kirk had an enormous effect on the comedic portion of the show. For Alexis Bledel, playing Rory Gilmore, this experiance is all about pretending. In the series, she and her mom share a love for coffee and cannot live without it. In reality, Bledel hates coffee and had to have her mug filled with Pepsi during each scene. If it wasn’t for her fantastic acting, viewers would be left thinking that they wasted their time. The creativity and humor of this masterpiece makes it hard for actors to perform, but Keiko Agena (Lane Kim, Rory’s best friend) proves that she can, hilariously go through the show as a rebellious teen with a Korean mother who is beyond overprotective and puts down ridiculous rules for her daughter. Palladino, also, included a side character that added to the small-town feel. This character, the town troubadour, who we do not learn the name of, plays his music on the street and no matter what he plays, his expression will automatically make you feel better.

    Plot twists await at every corner and keep viewers anxiously waiting until the next episode. Whether or not the twist involves a breakup with a boy or one between two friends, it never fails to hook you in and keep you wondering what could possibly happen next and most if the time, it’s not what you expected. The series finale, for example, leaves people on a cliffhanger, forcing them to make their own assumptions until they can know what happened for sure.

With every episode, you find yourself feeling like you are in the show with Lorelai and Rory and going through what they do every day. This is represented, in part, by their costumes. The clothes coincide with the time period (early 2000s) extremely well and the other factors, such as a town troubador, work greatly with when the show was written. You can tell it is an old-timey town because of the music and movies they watch and style of clothing and hair. Lorelai and Rory are optimistic characters, who can be mean, when it is needed.

    With an Emmy for the Outstanding Makeup in a Series category, AFL award for TV Program of the Year, and Teen Choice Award Choice TV Show: Comedy, Gilmore Girls is a winner of tons of awards, both as a series and for separate actors as well. Both Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham were the winners of a Teen Choice Award for two different categories. The amazing actors put together with the astonishing directing, writing, and costumes, make this program an amazing family comedy and makes for a great show for a mother and daughter to enjoy together.

Put together all of these unbelievable aspects and you get a show that will make you want to watch television more than Lorelai and Rory do and will leave you begging for the girls’ amazing abilities to eat endlessly as you will be up all night with them.