Review on Impractical Jokers | Teen Ink

Review on Impractical Jokers

By sophiascapicchio BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
sophiascapicchio BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Impractical Jokers is an undeniably hilarious hidden camera TV show that is primarily streamed on TruTV, but released its first of seven seasons on Netflix on September 30th, 2018. The cast includes Staten Island natives Joe Gatto, Sal Vulcano, Brian “Q” Quinn, and James “Murr” Murray -- also referred to as “The Tenderloins.” The four guys grew up together and have been best friends since high school. On the show, the four comedians instruct each other using earpieces to do and say embarrassing or stupid things in public. It’s as entertaining for the audience as it is for the guys!

Behind the scenes of the show, one of the guys is ordering a fellow joker to either perform a humiliating action or say something uncomfortable to an unsuspecting person out in the open. For example, one challenge called “Sign Here” requires the jokers to read the name of a ridiculous charity that they have been given by the other guys (one of my favorite organizations they came up with was the petition against “that b*tch Irene”). They must receive a donation from a stranger in support of the charity in order to win the challenge. There are multiple different challenges within each episode. The scoreboard keeps track of the losers who refuse to do or say what they are told. By the end of the show, the joker with the most losses must endure their deserved punishment, where no orders can be refused. One punishment designed specifically for Sal, “Flatfoot the Pirate,” required him to dress up as a pirate and teach young children about living on the seven seas. He had to lick a lollipop covered in kids’ saliva, drink a cup of a woman’s breast milk, and finally walk the plank into the “clean waters of Jersey.” Sal, being a complete germaphobe, hated each activity he was forced to do. Though it was not fun for him, it was hilarious for viewers to witness and is only one of the hundreds of laugh-out-loud punishments included in the series.

Each joker has his own strengths and weaknesses. Joe, for example, is certainly the most brave of them all and will do almost anything it takes to win, as long as it doesn’t mean he has to flirt with another woman (he’s a married man). Murr is a bit less willing to make an absolute fool out of himself, but he is witty and quick to complete challenges in unexpected ways. Sal, no matter how hard he tries, is almost never able to hold in his laughter during humorous moments. This serves as a disadvantage for him when it comes to “Try Not to Laugh” challenges. However, Sal is definitely an asset to the show, regardless of the fact that he has the most losses out of all guys throughout the history of Impractical Jokers. He can make anything funny, which is why he is my personal favorite. Last but not least, Q is not as dramatic as the other guys, making his act believable. Q doesn’t over-do it. However, there are a few times when he is so determined to win a challenge that he will do whatever it takes -- even if it requires him, for example, to dive face-first into a stranger’s plate of food to gobble up their meal. Overall, each joker brings their own personality to the table and they complement each other. Their strong friendship is highlighted in each episode of the show.

The downside of watching the show is witnessing the jokers’ failure to complete their given task. It leaves the watcher with a sense of disappointment; they feel as though they could have seen a hilarious challenge, but are instead forced to make do with the fact that since the joker refused to finish the challenge, they will never get to see it happen. One time, Joe was enjoying a massage during his turn on the show. Murr dared him to repeatedly address the masseuse as “father.” Joe surprisingly refused to do so and proceeded to lose the challenge. Watching him turn down the given task pained the viewer because the refusal gave off a sense of wasted potential. It would have been hysterical to see this happen, but since Joe said no, the audience had to accept the fact that they will never see it.

Impractical Jokers does contain explicit subject matter. Sexual content is frequently mentioned and there are some minor curses (the vulgar curses are bleeped out). The primary audience is ages 14 and above, so the show is meant for a mature audience. The targeted audience finds the series so funny that the four guys launched a successful tour: “The Cranjis McBasketball World Tour.” If this title seems a little odd to you, just watch episode 1 of season 5 and you’ll understand.

No matter what mood you’re in, Impractical Jokers will brighten your spirit with its inappropriate innuendos, foolish fiascos, and, well, impractical jokes. This show promises a laugh in every episode. Whether you are by yourself or with a group of friends, there is nothing more enjoyable than sitting down, binging the series, and constantly cracking up. Impractical Jokers brings endless joy and laughter to its audience and is certainly worth finding time to watch.