Most Recent Music Reviews

Here are the most recent music reviews:

Purple by Stone Temple Pilots This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Picture, if you will, the music scene in 1994. Grunge bands such as Alice In Chains and Nirvana were all the rage. Britpop groups like Oasis were hard at work trying to make a dent in the industry. And Stone Temple Pilots had just released their... (more »)
Free Somebody by LUNA This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Free Somebody,” the first solo mini album by pitch-perfect f(x) vocalist Luna (Park Sun-young), proves that individual elements can be just as enticing as the entire group. Its lean six tracks are pure sonic gold; each is... (more »)
Reputation by Taylor Swift This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
One glance at the songwriting credits on Taylor Swift’s latest album tells you all you need to know about the crossroads she’s at: about half of the songs are co-written by Max Martin & Shellback, who seem to have a Midas touch... (more »)
Love Yourself: Her by Beyond The Scene This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
BTS, also known as the Bangtan boys, is a South Korean boy band formed back in 2013 by Big Hit Entertainment. This internationally known boy band has seven members: RM (Kim Namjoon), Jin (Kim Soek Jin) Suga (Min Yoon Gi), J-Hope (Jung Ho Soek),... (more »)
Parklife by Blur
OK, OK, before I start this review, let me just say this: I’ve never liked so-called “boy bands”. Absolutely can’t stand them. When they don’t have screaming teenage girls at their feet, they’re writing cutesy songs about peace,... (more »)
Ceremonials by Florence + the Machine This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Fronted by singer Florence Welch, the band Florence + the Machine invites you into an entirely different world, of rites and charms and more immaterial things. The leading track “Only If For a Night” invites you into this dark, dreamy... (more »)
It's About Us by Alex & Sierra This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Before they won The X-Factor USA, the couple made waves during their audition with their smoky, shapeshifting cover of “Toxic” by Britney Spears. Alex & Sierra, or Alex Kinsey and Sierra Deaton, return with a ensemble of songs with a sweet,... (more »)
Blue Neighbourhood by Troye Sivan This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Troye Sivan debuts his first full-length album, after already accumulating a hefty following on YouTube. There’s a reason artists keep coming back to colors--every kind of artist. Blue, “the most human color” according to Regina Spektor,... (more »)
Reputation by Taylor Swift This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Big reputations, big reputations, ooh you and me we’ve got big reputations, Taylor Swift croons, in the album’s second track “End Game,” featuring Ed Sheeran and Future. She makes a game-changing move to confront the press’s... (more »)
Remember Us to Life by Regina Spektor This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Regina Spektor’s latest album is a homage to older times, while memorizing the present in all its glory. Remember us indeed. Over every song in the album, Spektor’s voice glides, speculating, reminiscing. There’s less of the quirky... (more »)
Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda
The world is abuzz with Lin Manual Miranda's “Hamilton.” The hip-hop musical about the founding father has swept the nation, and is now recognized as one of the best in musical theater. The musical focuses on main... (more »)
Waves by Rachel Platten This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Rachel Platten has been recording music for well over a decade, but it wasn’t until 2015 that Platten managed to hit the pop charts – with “Fight Song,” an empowerment anthem jam-packed with aphorisms about determination and... (more »)
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the...
There’s a Starman, waiting in the sky – the lyrics are one of, if not the most, well-known lines from the late David Bowie’s career as a musician. Although an actor, starring in the popular film Labyrinth, he rose to fame as a... (more »)
Pop 2 by Charli XCX
“Pop 2” is the fourth mixtape by English artist Charli XCX. The singer’s previous work has generally been described as “experimental pop” and this album more or less toes the same line. The mixtape has ten songs.... (more »)
Synthesis by Evanescence This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
On November 10, 2017, a well-known American rock band called Evanescence has released a new album called Synthesis. This song contains both brand new and remakes of songs that are made by the previous albums. This collection brings back the old... (more »)
2 comments
The Bends by Radiohead This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
When I first came across Radiohead's second album, I was perplexed. Up till then, I had been raised on Radiohead's later work, and I thought that this would be more of the same  electronic beats and rhythms that had dominated much of the band's... (more »)