Thrill of it All by Sam Smith | Teen Ink

Thrill of it All by Sam Smith

May 29, 2018
By Anonymous

The story begins.
Sam Smith has been known to start singing around 2012 with his first release of “Lay Me Down” and soon released the album The Lonely Hour which includes his hit single “Stay with Me.”
He has been very successful since the first release and has continued to grow. Some of the songs in this album include “Too Good at Goodbyes”, “HIM”, “Say it First” and many more.

“Too Good at Goodbyes”
This song is constructed to say that in all of his relationships he has had a lot of experience and may consider himself an expert when it comes to ending a relationship. Some powerful lyrics in his song include, “I'm never gonna let you close to me, Even though you mean the most to me/But every time you hurt me, the less that I cry, And every time you leave me, the quicker these tears dry.” He may have been close to you but he also knows how to let someone go.

“HIM”
In this song he talks about how he loves a man. He confesses about his sexuallity and who he loves. He states that even though he walks through the streets holding his hand he doesn’t care and embraces it. As Sam Smith says in “HIM” he yells out: “Don’t you try and tell me God doesn’t care for us.” He will not be brought down just be cause of society’s thoughts.

“Say It First”
He states that he wants his lover to say I love you first instead of having him say it and not having it be returned. On “Say It First”, Sam says, “I’m never gonna heal my past, If I run every time it starts.”

“No Peace”
After a terrible break up, he describes how he can still feel the person there next to him even though they may be with someone new. There may not be any peace without the one that he loved next to him.

Throughout the entire album each song has a powerful meaning behind it and makes the album seem stronger as a whole. Many of the songs included in this album have been about his sexuallity and how he has been in his previous relatoinships. He has started off strong in his career and it continues to grow as he does.