Humbug by Arctic Monkeys

Released in 2009, the album Humbug by the Arctic Monkeys came to show who are the real Monkey’s fans. Although it was widely appreciated by the critics, earning an aggregate of 75 out of 100 from Metacritic, many fans are sticking to the group’s older albums. This new recording stirs the teenage carefree style of the band to another direction, one that targets people with tastes for songs with deep lyrics and involving instrumentals. On the website songmeanings, fans with strong arguments argue the meanings of the tunes. “Dangerous Animals”, the third track of the album is believed by many to be inspired by the sadomasochist relationship described in the book “Venus in Furs”, by Austrian writer Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. The song “Pretty Visitors” is often thought to be about performing on a concert, but none of the entries is able to decipher completely as it is
common with other artists or even with other tunes of the Arctic Monkeys.

It is an album whose songs need you to be familiar with to appreciate. With Humbug, you can’t act like you do with more shallow recordings where you say, I like this or I don’t like that. Each one of the songs conquers the listener, slowly, but surely.