Flight Log: Turbulence by GOT7 This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

GOT7 is a seven-membered South Korean boy group that debuted in January 2014 under JYP Entertainment. After a much anticipated comeback, they released their second full album on September 27, 2016 called Flight Log: Turbulence. It is the sequel to their previous mini-album Flight Log: Departure and features their music video “Hard Carry” along with twelve other songs. In just a week, they sold more than 100,000 copies and “Hard Carry” won No. 1 on three different music programs, competing with several other kpop groups.
     GOT7’s album displays a hip-hop and electronic genre, which is a new turn from their previous playful and charming albums. All of the members participated in producing the songs and writing the lyrics, adding in their own taste and style. Some songs talk about freedom, love, and depression.  All of the tracks have an addictive rhythm even if they are about loneliness.
     The album opens up with “Skyway,” a multi-faceted electronic song. It begins with an engine revving and what sounds like a new rhythm to every beat: static, drumming, DJ disc scratches, auto tune, and layered vocal samples. Like the name, the song has the feeling of rising up into the air on the plane, as in the lyrics “Don’t worry about your fear of heights./ It's not scary even if we're out in space./ My heart is the oxygen tank outside the aerosphere.” The album’s popular single “Hard Carry” is a fierce and hard-hitting song. It reached more than 2.5 million views in less than 24 hours on YouTube. Im Jaebum, the leader, explains “Hard Carry”: “This song is powerful and it’s full of men’s charm.” The intense choreography in their music video goes along with their confident lyrics and aggressive music. With smooth singing and rough rapping, the song is about how no one is there to stop you and that the game is in your hands. It is shown in the lyrics, “Once I appear, the game is over./ I get everything I want/ I know how to flow with the water./ Again today, I do what I have to do, hard carry.”
     After some intense tracks, “No Jam” levels things off with a more party-like song. It translates to “No Fun,” and it plays on Korean and English words.  With the electronic keyboard and the xylophone, the song certainly creates a childish tune, similar to their other song “Just Right.” The member’s sing as if they were actually at a party, with high spirits and screaming in the background. It's not any fun if you're not in the party. “Mayday” has a similar music style to “Skyway,” but it describes depression and loneliness. Similar to a dubstep rap, there are water droplet sounds, futuristic warps, and clapping to create an upbeat chorus. The members ask for help and forgiveness, hence “Mayday.” Lyrics that describe this quality are, “‘I’m sorry,’ saying it was like a habit./ A saying beyond my understanding.”
     “Who’s That” also has a joyful tune like “No Jam.” The drums and ukulele create a tropical vacation-like feeling. The lyrics shows the envy when she talks about a different man and how you’re the best man for her instead. The track also has a teasing tone, with multiple questions asked over and over again and non-stop singing. These lyrics are sung in a joking way: “Listen, who knows, you used to hear my voice everyday./ You may be addicted, you may not be able to sleep because you don’t hear it./ Or maybe the ‘ideal man’ you used to talk about a hundred times might be better for you./ Wait and see how it’s like everyday.” “It Hurts” is more of a calm and soothing ballad to listen to after the lively songs. With the sound of a gentle acoustic guitar, it expresses how much pain is felt without being with the loved person everyday. Even though it is one of the heartbreaking tracks in the album, “It Hurts” continues to have a persisting and satisfying rhythm. A somber lyric is “When I walk without you, I look so insignificant.”
     Flight Log: Turbulence includes everything you need to hear in just 45 minutes. The members did an outstanding job with the well-produced music and amazing lyrics, as well as their talented singing and rapping. It’s perfect how every word fits with the beat. The songs will make you forget that you are rising up into the air.