That's The Spirit by Bring Me The Horizon | Teen Ink

That's The Spirit by Bring Me The Horizon

May 13, 2016
By escapethesilence BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
escapethesilence BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Unlike Bring Me The Horizon’s past albums, That’s the Spirit is definitely the most melodic and less aggressive album that they have made,By going into a direction they’ve never gone before, Bring Me The Horizon has definitely set the stages from deathcore to metalcore all the way to alternative. They are showing who they are, how they have changed and how they are going to continue to change in the future.

In the first song titled “doomed” they state, “they must have made some kind of mistake i asked for death, but instead i'm awake the devil told me “no room for cheats” i thought i sold my soul, but he kept the receipt.” which is talking about how he is in a constant state of depression but is learning to cope with it.

In the second song known as “Happy song”, it shows the fans and others how the bands moving in a more melodic direction, using less hardcore riffs in their music, and adding more variety.

Keyboardist Jordan Fish told rolling stone,” Everyone has their own issues and anxieties, and mostly the new songs are about accepting them and trying to remain positive because there’s nothing else you can do.” Which is exactly  what the third song on the album “throne” is about.

“True Friends” is the fourth song, and it talks about friendships and how to handle them in a better way. It's about forgetting the situation but not forgiving them. In a sense, if they are toxic let them go.

“Follow You” is the fifth track on the album, and is definitely the most romantic track on it. The track tells a story between two lovers who are going through a rough patch, but no matter how bad things get they will stay together because they don't want to lose their other half. It's a really inspirational song to listen to if you're going through a rough time.

In the sixth song, “What You Need” they are talking about people who are close-minded and judge everything, based on their perception either from school or their parents. It's about the people who dig themselves so far down in the ground they cannot get out of that state.

In “Avalanche” singer, Oliver Sykes talks about his visits to the doctor and his addiction to Ketamine. He says the song is about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
“Run” is based off of some of the darker 90’s music, it talks about how they won't let people drag them down lower than they already are, mentally. They won't let people push them around, or make them feel bad about themselves.

“Drown” is about having your expectations so high and heavy, soon they become unbearable to keep up, or sometimes them going through as planned and the feeling of accomplishment in fulfilling it.

The second to last song on this album is called, “Blasphemy” and it is clearly about cynical people who won't let go of their beliefs, even if they don't really believe in them.

“Oh No”, is the eleventh and final song on That's The Spirit. It talks about going to a club and feeling the irony. That its up to the person whether they really want to do this, like getting drunk for a night equals the potential to it becoming an addiction in the long run.

Overall this album in its entirety is one of my favorites. Its to the point, and very relatable to all of the conflicts and struggles i have encountered. To me, they're moving in a direction that corresponds to all audiences, and in retrospect from their past albums they're moving into a more defining direction of who they are and how they're changing.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to to write this was the empowerment this album gave me. To feel that way about something made me want to share it with the people who want to listen to a band that relates to a struggle they may be facing.