Room On Fire by The Strokes | Teen Ink

Room On Fire by The Strokes

By Abe Kipnis SILVER, South Salem, New York
Abe Kipnis SILVER, South Salem, New York

Most of you have heard of the song “Reptilia” by The Strokes from the hit game Guitar Hero III. Although “Reptilia” is probably the only song you’ve heard of from the Strokes, their amazing rock album Room On Fire has what you’ve been looking for: great guitar, eccentric voice, powerful lyrics, and strong solos.

The key component of all Strokes songs is the guitar. The guitar yields a powerful, yet muted voice that begins to excite you when you first hear it. The tunes are simple, yet beguiling. The Strokes’ vocalist, Julian Casablancas, creates an intensive, muffled voice to go along with the guitar. The two instruments go beautifully together, creating the captivating alternative rock music all The Strokes fans know.

One of my personal favorites is the hit single “12:51”. Although this song doesn’t seem to have a chorus, its catchy guitar tune between each verse leaves you humming for hours on end. The lyrics seem to be random, talking about strange subjects, yet the words fit the melody. The band’s drummer, Fabrizio Moeretti, creates a moderately paced beat to match with the songs guitarist and singer, and it seems to fade into the background as the lyrics and guitar riffs fill your ears.

Listening to the Strokes is an enlightening entity. Your ears will thank you, and you will be thanking yourself for attaching yourself to this great band: The Strokes.

lilacdistractions, Montclair, New Jersey

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

- Margaret Mead

Never mind...it only looked long when I typed it.

- Margaret Mead

I absolutely love the Strokes! I only got into them last year but now I have all of their albums and all of Julian Casablancas' solo work. I saw them in April at Madison Square Garden--they were fabulous. Even though I love "Reptilia" and "12:51", my favorite song on this album is "Meet Me In The Bathroom".

Sorry this was so long :p