David Archuleta - | Teen Ink

David Archuleta - MAG

By Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan

David Archuleta’s self-titled debut album is one of those discs that never get old. If you are a fan of pop, soft ballads, or just good music to rock around your bedroom to, you will be starstruck.

The album opens with the chart-topping song “Crush.” If Archuleta’s voice hasn’t captivated you after that number, the next few will most certainly leave you wanting more.

Archuleta really brings “teen life” to his songs and speaks to his listeners about falling in love, the confusion of breaking up and, of course, “crushing,” which any teen can understand. Archuleta closes with the phenomenal “Angels,” originally sung by Robbie Williams. Slower tracks on the album (“You Can” and “To Be With You”) fit perfectly with the faster, more upbeat “Touch My Hand,” “Running,” and “Don’t Let Go.”

What makes us fall head-over-heels in love with this 17-year-old rising star? Is it his voice? His talent? His charm? Normally, I listen to classic rock radio stations; I grew up with the music my dad played in the car. I love bands like America and The Rolling Stones, so I never imagined I would love a pop singer like Archuleta. But his fantastic voice, upbeat attitude, and ­conservative values really draw teens – and their parents – to this sensational new album.

It doesn’t matter whether you are eight or 78: you will be able to relate to any song on the album. It’s worth your while to pick up a copy today.

ClapTrack said...
I love David and love the album, to the chagrin of my friends. My only comment is that the album is too formulaic as well as overly produced (clap tracks for example)and does not feel like this is the authentic David. I hope he grows into his fame and has a long career. I would like to see him take more control over his musical direction and turn into a Disney-esque product for the prepubescent girl audience. He has a real voice and real talent. He should be targeting more mature audiences.

Karen said...
on Apr. 3 2009 at 5:11 am
I love David and his album! He's the best--period!! If you ever get a chance to see him live, though, don't miss it. He is sooo good in person, it's unreal. What an exquisite voice, what a gorgeous and endearing person! HUGE fan here if you can't tell!

Katheryn said...
on Apr. 3 2009 at 5:08 am
Music is the univeral language, and David Archuleta knows how to capture and convey a song's meaning, and connect with the listener better than any other contemporary singer. Billboard got it right when it said David has the voice of a generation! If you haven't heard his album yet, give it a try. I think you'll be astounded at how good it is, especially if you thought it would sound like some of the material he was confined to singing on American Idol.

Emily said...
on Apr. 3 2009 at 2:20 am
I love David's album, it is awesome and I listen to it over and over and over. And your review, right on.

China80 said...
Awesome review!! THANK YOU!! Nice to know that even rockers appreciate talent when they see it and hear it!! David Archuleta has only scratched the surface of the Music Industry!! This young man is EXTREMELY talented with a voice that soars to the HEAVENS above!!! David Archuleta also has a heart of GOLD that may be BIGGER than his voice -- and that is saying TONS!!!

nemo said...
My wife bought david's album for her but I have to say I'm hooked on it. This teen has beautiful vocals w/ great control. I can't wait for his next album to come out.

hazeleyd71 said...
This is a wonderful review of David Archuleta's album. He's such an amazing singer and artist and a few of the songs on there, he co wrote. I listen to his album every day and I've bought over 50 copies to give out to others to enjoy it also. I would love for him to release a Live version of this album. I can't say enough about how wonderful he is singiing Live. Any one who doesn't have his album yet should definately go out and buy it!

Great review! I have listened to David's CD since I purchased it on November 11, 2008. There is something for everyone on it. Some days, I play it nonstop. On other days, I play it nonstop AND I search for certain tracks depending on my mood. David's vocals are absolutely stunning and his songs reach out to you! There is such a great connection! He makes you feel so much in such a positive way! That's what makes his CD so AWESOME!

MaddieLynn said...
Love the review! It's so awesome to see a review which says everything I believe about an artist...and David Archuleta is one of those artists who attracts all ages and for the very reasons you just pointed out.

He is such in idol to me. I think every teen should have David Archuleta pictures on their walls and I love every song on his album for different reasons, but none of them are because it is explicit or something I'd never let another teen or parent for that reason to listen to!

And I love all the reasons you mentioned for liking this album.

Love love love this review.

Yep!

jmr said...
An honest review, I agree with every word. To steal from Simon, "absolutely on...the...money!" David is the most refreshing artist, ever. And I'm somewhere right in the middle of 7 to 78.

M'Lou said...
I agree with the article and the mystifying fact that we have fallen in love with this young man. What is it? I don't know. All I know is I care about him; I love his soleful singing. I love his exhuberance of life. I know he is at the beginning of a long and great career.

unf0rgiven said...
What a great review!

Thank you so much for your king words. David deserves them indeed.

pam05 said...
Your article is spot on :-)

Archu-mania has arrived!!!

Chickee said...
Thanks Jillian for the great review of my favorite singer. I'm 60 and loved the Stones and America also, along with ELO and some of the rock bands, but when I heard David's voice for the first time, I had just NEVER heard a voice like that in my lifetime. He's in another stratosphere, and I would bet my life that he is heading toward legendary status. The whole world will be in love with THE VOICE soon, very soon.

gemzone said...
Thank you for the wonderful review. I agree that this is an ablum that you never get tired of. I am an older fan of Davids I have 5 grandchildren and my oldest daughter loves the fact that her 12yr old daughter and 10yr old twin sons can listen to the album and she doesn't have to worry about the content of the songs. She knows that everything David sings is clean and uplifting. Gotta love him!! Well done David!

sasha said...
Awesome review--awesome album--listen to it everyday--but the BEST is to go to his concert and see him LIVE!! LUV David Archuleta!!

jazzy18 said...
Great review! I absolutely love this CD. From the beautiful ballads to the uptempo songs, David's voice just soars. There's nothing like it.

KSKait1234 said...
Great review and I agree with everything -- and as much as I love the album, I love hearing David sing live even more. (OKC concert) He's so talented.

Ed D said...
on Apr. 2 2009 at 2:40 am
You are so right!

ahecht25 said...
Fantastic article, and I agree with you 100%! There isn't a day that has gone buy since the release of this cd that I haven't listened to it! David will be around in the music business for a very long time! :)