Radiohead – "In Rainbows" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It’s sad to say that in the first 16 years of my life I never fully understood the cult obsession of Radiohead. After listening to their latest CD, I have one word to sum up the work of this British band that has been around for more than a decade: genius. “In Rainbows” is simply a well-crafted, amazing album. Every song helps you understand why they are one of greatest bands ever assembled.

“15 Step” starts off the album with an opening of tribal-like beats and claps reminiscent of the band’s futuristic “Idioteque” from “Kid A” (2000). Jonny Greenwood smoothes out the track with his anodyne guitar under Thom Yorke’s smirky lyrics: “You used to be all right, what happened? Did the cat get your tongue?”

After the guitar-dominated track “Bodysnatchers,” the album takes a tranquilizing left turn with “Nude.” Radiohead utilizes their instruments to make a new sound in “Weird Fishes” and “Reckoner.” It also reminds us of simpler times with their slow-paced lyrical songs “All I Need” and “Videotape,” which is so beautiful and simple it almost brings a tear to your eye. I love the line “You are my center when I spin away.”

“In Rainbows” is one of the best albums to come out in the past five years. Even the marketing scheme is pure genius. The band decided to let fans pick the price when they download it from their website. Something as awesome as “In Rainbows” is truly priceless.

AlaskaFrost This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm:
Yes yes yes I agree with you!! Your review is great. I love Radiohead and this is definitely one of my favorite albums! :D I just really love how they broke away from the corporation and make their own label so they could do what they want and focus on the music!

Anais said...
I love Radiohead. I haven't listened to In Rainbows though. I'll be sure to look it up ;)

ClaraZornado This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:29 am:
In Rainbows is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's just.. perfect.

Rebecca321 said...
Aug. 16, 2009 at 1:40 am:
great review! This really is an amazing album. One of their best.

just3words said...
May 31, 2009 at 1:42 pm:
This album has a lot of hype! Def. deciding to check it.

SeaRose said...
May 26, 2009 at 9:26 am:
It sound very nice. A change from the corporate wear, they actually seem just pretty interested in music making and not other stuff so I want to check them out!

Austin said...
Mar. 21, 2009 at 12:08 am:
They brought the essence of their album name into it all... taking you in the colors. The heaven people see when listening to it is much more than a marketing tool to sell- you know this. They've brought pure Art back into music.