Billy Elliot the Musical This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Broadway is known for spectacular theatrical performances. Through the years, musicals have received much praise and set unwavering standards. “Billy Elliot the Musical” is no different, holding a special place in Broadway’s success this year. Based on the movie, it portrays a struggling boy’s ambition to become a ballet dancer.

The main character, Billy, is born to a mining family and his parents want him to become a professional boxer. However, Billy has a passion for dancing and he struggles to gain approval from his family.

Every great musical needs great acting. “Billy Elliot the Musical” has a remarkable cast, with each member contributing to the production. Laughs are plentiful and the comedy merges with drama to emphasize certain issues. The graceful movements combine with enlightening vocals to cast a spell. With beautiful choreography, the musical flows smoothly as the actors energetically dash across the stage. Each character – through speech and body movements – is made as memorable as a favorite movie or song.

Perhaps the only thing that rivals the acting is the music, which is composed by Elton John. Through his music, the passion of the cast is poured into the audience. The energetic musical numbers include “Solidarity,” in which the miners show their will to stand as one and continue their strike, and “Electricity,” where Billy expresses his love for dancing with his body.

The props and scenery are another stunning feature. Decorative backgrounds vividly depicted the settings. Not only does the scenery show the audience where and when the play takes place, it helps establish the atmosphere the director intended.

Overall, “Billy Elliot the Musical” is an exceptional piece. The producers have outdone themselves with this marvelous and comical plot. The unique music, acting, scenery, and costumes create memorable and amusing images. This musical is definitely worth your money and it will hold a dear place on Broadway and in our hearts.

InvisibleNerdGirl said...

This is now an entry on the (long) list of musicals I want to see. :)

Also, we just had a talent show at my school and this one little kid sang "Electricity," He didn't dance, but let me tell you, that song gets stuck in your head after hearing 3 run-throughs.

Elec-TRICityyyyyyyyy....

BoppstaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 10:16 am:
I'm going to see it next weekend but one of the Billys (the one im going to see) is from my town and i took piano lessons with his mom

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
OMG I LOVE BILLY ELLIOT!!! I saw him (well, 3 hims) 5 times, and I'm still wanting to see it again. I love the way you described the show. When I read this in the magazine, I had just seen the show the other day, and reading your review made me want to see it again! Great job!

alc said...
Mar. 19, 2009 at 12:02 am:
Great review!!! Loved your review and another 5 star review of the show. Shine is also great with the ballet girls, their chemistry is wonderful.

cabeyx3 said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm:
Good review! I was going to write one on Billy Elliot also, but I think this review tops mine.