Jedi Mind Tricks – "Violent by Design" | Teen Ink

Jedi Mind Tricks – "Violent by Design" MAG

By Erik Sunstrom BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Erik Sunstrom BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Jedi Mind Tricks is an underground, Philadelphia-based group that is one of the best bands today. Their genre can be described as “heavy metal rap.” They seem to talk about religion a lot too. It’s a unique mix of classical music as well as rap beats.

“Violent by Design,” the group’s second album, was released in 2000. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard. Some of the lyrics are extremely violent but so good that you just have to keep listening. The beats are creative and have the power to get your head bobbing.
But there is also a downside to this amazing album. The interludes are just boring 30-second beats with random words that make no sense. Some of the language is inappropriate for those who don’t like curse words. Also, some of the beats sound the same, which is disappointing.

Many of Jedi Mind Tricks’ most well-known songs are featured on this album. “I Against I” has some of the most creative beats and sickest lyrics I have ever heard. “Heavenly Divine” is also a unique track with lyrics that are very original. “Trinity” has an amazing orchestral/classical sound.

“Violent by Design” is a creative CD from Jedi Mind Tricks that rivals any album created to this day. No one really knows who they are, and that’s one of the reasons I enjoy them so much.

Jayfatha GOLD said...
on Jun. 23 2012 at 4:38 pm
Jayfatha GOLD, Romeoville, Illinois

NEXT TIME WE EAT A BLOOD CLOT

I'm glad this got published so more people might hear this album. But the review...

"Jedi Mind Tricks is an underground, Philadelphia-based group that is one of the best bands today"

The "one of the best" is completely opinion and shouldn't be there, but if you're going to include it it should be something like "Jedi Mind Tricks are a philidelphia-group, and they're one of the best groups out there"

"Some of the lyrics are extremely violent but so good that you just have to keep listening. The beats are creative and have the power to get your head bobbing."

What makes the lyrics good? Why are the beats creative? You're gonna have to elaborate if you want people to know what you're talking about.

"But there is also a downside to this amazing album."

A downside, as in singular. Then you go on to list three downsides.

"No one really knows who they are, and that’s one of the reasons I enjoy them so much."

This just SCREAMS hipster, them being underground has nothing to do with the music and shouldn't factor in to how much you enjoy it at all. Plus after that the review just sort of stops out of nowhere, not a very good finish. That's just a few problems I have with it this, not being a jerk or anything, just trying to give you a few tips. Congrats on the publishing brah