Jedi Mind Tricks – "Violent by Design" | Teen Ink

Jedi Mind Tricks – "Violent by Design" MAG

February 25, 2009
By Erik Sunstrom BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Erik Sunstrom BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jedi Mind Tricks is an underground, Philadelphia-based group that is one of the best bands today. Their genre can be described as “heavy metal rap.” They seem to talk about religion a lot too. It’s a unique mix of classical music as well as rap beats.

“Violent by Design,” the group’s second album, was released in 2000. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard. Some of the lyrics are extremely violent but so good that you just have to keep listening. The beats are creative and have the power to get your head bobbing.
But there is also a downside to this amazing album. The interludes are just boring 30-second beats with random words that make no sense. Some of the language is inappropriate for those who don’t like curse words. Also, some of the beats sound the same, which is disappointing.

Many of Jedi Mind Tricks’ most well-known songs are featured on this album. “I Against I” has some of the most creative beats and sickest lyrics I have ever heard. “Heavenly Divine” is also a unique track with lyrics that are very original. “Trinity” has an amazing orchestral/classical sound.

“Violent by Design” is a creative CD from Jedi Mind Tricks that rivals any album created to this day. No one really knows who they are, and that’s one of the reasons I enjoy them so much.