For You by Selena Gomez | Teen Ink

For You by Selena Gomez

November 23, 2015
By RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss


     Did you know “The Heart Wants What It Wants” by Selena Gomez is #2 on iTunes? The song displays Selena’s feelings for Justin Bieber. There is a moment of vulnerability as she sings about the dark side of her fairytale with honesty and conviction, her relationship with Justin. With Selena Gomez having grown out of her teen idol phase, the endlessly buoyant For You represents the closing of a chapter of the young star’s career, collecting her biggest hits from the last 5 years. The set includes the breakout “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know” and “Love You Like a Love Song” among other highlights from her three albums with The Scene, as well as the monster hit “Come & Get It” from her solo debut. Gomez recorded new two songs for the project “Do It” and the proactive “The Heart Wants What It Wants”, about her link with Justin Bieber.
     ?Selena Marie Gomez is an American actress, singer, and fashion designer. Born and raised in Grand Prairie, Texas, she was first featured on the children’s series Barney & Friends in the early 2000s. Selena was inspired to become a singer by Selena. During an interview on The View, Gomez said that Selena “was a big deal to my family and growing up from the get-go, I knew who she was and who I was named after and it was such an honor to be named after someone so amazing.” She recorded “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” for the 2012 remix album Enamorada de Ti and then later for For You.
     ?“The Heart Wants What It Wants” is a midtempo pop and R & B song, and has a Lord-like, minimal electro-pop beat complete with finger snaps, ominous synths and haunting groans. Lyrically, Gomez details being in love with a bad boy despite knowing he may not be a stand-up guy, “The bed’s getting cold and you’re not here/ The future that we hold is so unclear/ But I’m not alive until you call/ And I’ll bet the odds against it all…/There’s a million reasons why I should you up.” Selena penned the song for on-and-off boyfriend Justin Bieber. “Come & Get It” is an electro-pop, pop-step, and bhangra song. The song opens with a “Bollywood inspired” theme before transitioning into a more dub-step influenced sound. The song lyrically speak of Gomez’s hopes of rekindling a former romance.
     ?“Who Says” has an organic and acoustic feel. Described as a “jangly pop tune”, having an “overarching feel-good vibe”, lyrically, the song speaks of embracing who you are and not letting critics get you down. Gomez sings of insecurities and people telling her she is not good enough before asserting, “I’m sure you got some things/ You’d like to change about yourself/ But when it comes to me/ I don’t want to be anybody else.” Selena promoted natural beauty in “Who Says” by going out in public without makeup or any sloppy clothes. “Love You Like a Love Song” is a midtempo electro-pop and dub-step song that incorporates an electro-funk and Euro disco rhythm and pulsing beats.

     There is another album just like For You, Revival. Each song on Revival is relatable and has more emotion compared to the last five albums. Revival played more like a homecoming than a reinvention. Selena has always had a cool texture in her voice that's made songs like "Love You Like a Love Song" and "Come And Get It" standouts over the last few years.  Gomez clearly states in “Me and My Girls” that she does not need a man to make her feel good . "Me and My Girls," message is good for all types people to remind them to feel confident in your own skin, just like most of Selena’s songs on For You