“Mamma Mia!” Soundtrack | Teen Ink

“Mamma Mia!” Soundtrack MAG

By Taylor Brown BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas
Taylor Brown BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas

As you may know, the Broadway sensation “Mamma Mia!” recently became a movie starring Dominic Cooper, Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, and Colin Firth. This disco-themed musical features songs from the hit ’70s group Abba.

While the retro beats are outdated for some people’s taste, I found the soundtrack extremely enjoyable. The feel-good songs make you want to jump up and dance. The choruses are catchy and extremely fun to sing to. The disco-inspired lyrics offer plenty of the quirky oohs and aahs that make this soundtrack unique. While most songs are obviously from long ago, some like “Honey, Honey” could definitely be popular on pop stations today.

The voices on this CD are enjoyable, and the talent is somewhat surprising. Amanda Seyfried, an actress who seems at first to have a tiny voice, astounded me with her wide range and powerful lungs. Her costar, Dominic Cooper, offers similar talent with his vocals. Meryl Streep, while not at the same level, delivers her lyrics well and with the enthusiasm necessary for such an album. Pierce Brosnan, who plays opposite Streep, also surprised me with a voice that could easily belong to a successful singer of that era.

While most songs are upbeat, there is a good mix of ballads. “The Winner Takes It All” and “Slipping Through My Fingers” are first-class examples of more mellow though still entertaining songs.

The “Mamma Mia!” soundtrack is an excellent example of how a style from times past can be just as pleasing today. Anyone who enjoys a good beat and cheerful lyrics should check out this CD.

aaliona SILVER said...
aaliona SILVER, Spencer, Iowa

"Morning is a new sheet of paper for you to write on." ~Eve Merriam

I've never seen the movie, but I love the music!

I loved that movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Jun. 22 2009 at 6:55 am
GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

yeah i am not really the chick flick kind of person but my brother saw it and said it was good but still i dont think it is attractive movie but the songs are amazing

brina SILVER said...
brina SILVER, Middletown, Indiana
I personally am not a "chick flick" fan. But, my best friend loved the movie I personally don't find it repulsive.

FarmGirl said...
FarmGirl, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Lady ZaZa must know who Lady GaGa is.

LadyZaza BRONZE, Ouagadougou, Other
No, 2kewl4skewl, i disagree. This movie was naturally for fans of Chick Flicks and Musicals... It was a great movie though slightly cheesy :)

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

I loved the movie Mamma Mia. Yes, it was cheesy, but that's what made it funny!

chowder16 said...
I loved the movie! I watched it four times and the naext time I went to the store I bought the soundtrack. I have ABBA and Ateens music, but Meryl Streep brought something different.

2kewl4skewl said...
This movie was cheesy and a giant rip off.