Vampire Weekend – "Vampire Weekend" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Vampire Weekend. Just hearing the name, I pictured a heavy metal band dressed in black and singing about Satan and death. Needless to say, I was very surprised when I listened to their CD and heard the upbeat, ska/indie rock that is Vampire Weekend.

The band’s unusual name was taken from an amateur movie made by the singer, Ezra Koenig, in college. He and drummer Chris Tompson collaborated in earlier bands. They were later joined by Rostam Batmaglij (keyboard) and Chris Baio (bass).

Despite their strange band name, these Columbia graduates have produced a very enjoyable album. Their music has African pop and Western classical influences, which you can really hear in songs like “M78.” This song features a funky African drum beat, vaguely familiar classical string melody, and a pop-like guitar riff.

They also have slightly more conventional songs like “The Kids Don’t Stand a Chance,” which is one of my favorites. Although the tempo is slower, it still retains the energy and enthusiasm present on the rest of the album. Their most famous tracks, “A-Punk” and “Oxford Comma,” both feature catchy (though not deep) lyrics. The chorus of “A-Punk,” “Look outside at the raincoats coming,” certainly isn’t notable for deep insight, but when mixed with the pleasant, almost reggae music, it creates a fun song, even if the lyrics don’t make much sense.

The band is still slightly obscure, which I believe adds to their appeal. But their popularity has been growing at an astounding rate. They were named “The Year’s Best New Band” by Spin, and are the only group to appear on the magazine’s cover before the release of a debut CD. They’ve also graced the pages of Rolling Stone and Fader, and are a popular topic for bloggers.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to Vampire Weekend, and can’t wait to hear more from this up-and-coming band. I’d recommend this CD for anyone looking for music that is slightly exotic and off the beaten trail.

welcometoplanetearthThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Vampire Weekend is by far my favorite band. I literally have every song they've ever written that ITunes sells on my IPod (both albums, ITunes session, the singles that were never put on the actual albums, remixes... you get my point). I aslo realized that I dress oddly similar to Ezra (except that I'm a girl). I heard that they're releasing a new album in late 2012 or early 2013. Anyone else heard this? I hope that it's true!

RachaelSt said...
SAY LOVEY?!

*MiaPia* said...
I LLOOVVEE Vampire Weekend! Especially "A-Punk", it's a good pick-me-up song...

gaffyninja This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:43 am:
Wasn't much of a fan of this album, but their second one piqued my interest. With 'Giving Up The Gun' shooting straight into my all time favourites playlist.

EllieMae said...
May 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm:
I just started listening to Vampire Weekend and I absoulutley Adore them!! When I was looking up their songs I was having the same thoughts too. But after I heard Oxford Comma and Bryn I fell in love!! Go Indie Rock bands!

Brookiexxcookie said...

i love this album and this band.

favorite song by them: cousins

:)

NatalieB. said...
You're not the only one who got that first image. I've been a fan of VW for a while now, and when I first told one of my freinds about, she got the idea that they were screamo-metal. She was really suprised when she listened to     "A-Punk". I'm gonna get "Contra" soon, but I don't know if it's cheaper at Hot Topik or Target.....

bonjouritsandi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 12:30 pm:
Vampire Weekend is amazing, but their new CD "Contra" is a million times more amazing.

Greensorrow23 said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm:
Your right, Vampire Weekend is climbing to the charts! Especially now that they got their new album out. Their music sound has change a bit, less african, but more bass. But other than that, they have a good sound going for them and they open a door to all the ska/indie groups.

Jackson C.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19, 2009 at 2:03 am:
Haha. My brother's band is covering their hit, "A-punk". I was also under the impression of something much heavier. With their first track being "Mansard Roof", I was quickly convinced and amazed at the immense indy style and elegance of their music. I love Vampire Weekend, which is strange, since I am primarily a person who listens to Led Zeppelin, Rage against the Machine, and Metallica. I think they're a great band with a great future. Go Vampire Weekend!

Shorty9192 said...
Hey you are an awsome writer have you concidered becoming a profeshional writer?

MikaLestat said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 8:27 pm:
Me also! I really like 'I Stand Corrected', it was really good*_*

Ogonna O. said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 9:23 pm:
This is my all time fav. band in the world and im glad somebody else appreciates them!

Vamp_doll. said...
Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm:
I agree with you. I was totally expecting something more metal-ish, but I still really love it. It puts me in a great mood =]