People Keep Talking by Hoodie Allen | Teen Ink

People Keep Talking by Hoodie Allen

By ayabx SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
ayabx SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will finally know peace."

Prepare yourself for a fantastic new rap album by Hoodie Allen. People Keep Talking has many amazing songs with beats that make you want to dance until your legs are sore and lyrics that you'll sing so loud, your neighbors will hear. Most of his songs included great collaborations with Ed Sheeran, MAX, and other artists. Released on October 14, it is his fourth album, consisting of 12 songs with two exclusive tracks. With his unbelievable rapping skills and his stunning voice, the talented Hoodie Allen is rising by the minute.    
     Former Google employee and undercover star, Steve Markowitz, mostly known as Hoodie Allen, was juggling two jobs. He worked at Google and when he'd come home, he'd schedule concerts and write songs. It was a busy life and still is. He started off by releasing mixtapes like Leap Year and Pep Rally. Hoodie Allen finally announced his new album on his social media sites after talking about it for two years in August. The self-released album name, People Keep Talking, represents how Hoodie is talked about all the time, whether it's in a positive or negative way, but he's too busy working on his career to even pay attention.
     Hoodie has released three singles, "Show Me What You're Made Of," "Movie,'' and "Dumb for You." With its electrifying guitar, hypnotizing keyboard, and echoing drums, Hoodie Allen gives the idea in his first single that haters should show him what they're made of, especially because they are talking so bad about him.
Hoodie's second single, "Movie,'' starts off with trumpets playing, giving it a retro twist. Hoodie makes reference to well known artists like Madonna and mentions movie classics like Casablanca. Hoodie refers to life as a movie in the song.
     In his third and final single, "Dumb For You,'' the upbeat rhythm and catchy lyrics make up for the fact it's a sappy heartbreak song. It's not a bad thing, it's just not Hoodie's style.
     A favorite of mine is "Against Me'' featuring MAX. With its soulful piano and meaningful their fans understand what MAX and Hoodie are trying to accomplish with this song. People shouldn't take the words that they say and use them against them or twist them around to make it seem negative. When they are trying to walk away, the media and others shouldn't mock them in any way. I felt that this was relatable, because many people find it hard to avoid situations where they are tempted to say something they may or may not react. A similar song called "Overtime" starts off with an acoustic guitar and builds up towards a fun beat. Hoodie explains in an explicit way how he is working overtime, but in a way in which he actually enjoys it and is actually getting paid for doing what he loves. "100 Percent of Something" is also similar to "Against Me." It is the first track on the album with its calm piano and drums. It is a bit different from most of his songs aside from "Against Me." The lyrics perceive him as a person who used to care about everything that people said to him, but now, he just wants to have it all, write music, and perform. I felt this song was also relatable because people take what others say into such consideration and torment themselves over it.
     The remaining eight tracks are amazing as well, especially if you're in the mood to dance and just have fun. "People Keep Talking" is a great representation of the whole album. People
call him all day and when he answers, they never reply. He doesn't pay attention to what they say. The song has a beat and rhythm that also make you feel like you don't have a care in the
world. At the end of the track, there is a voicemail from a fan of Hoodie. The story behind it is that hereleased his number, telling everyone to call him and leave voicemails that may be used
in the album. I thought this was a cool aspect, because it is a genuine message from a fan instead of Hoodie himself acting like a fan . "Won't Mind" which also features MAX has an unforgettable tempo. In the song, Hoodie is telling everyone that it's okay if they don't forget him or if they mess with him. In a collaboration with Ed Sheeran in "All About It," there is also a retro beat to it like in one of his singles, "Movie," they are working hard to get what they want.  This is a great party track and Ed Sheeran really adds to it. He is a big artist and writing music with Hoodie really attracts Sheeran's fans as well. "Sirens" featuring Alex Wailey starts off with  high-pitched voice saying "I know." With its steady drum beats and metaphoric lyrics relating to calling 911, it is a perfect addition to the album as well.
     "Act My Age" is a very tuneful song that makes you jump up and down, rocking to it. It shows that Hoodie doesn't want to grow up and become mature like his friends. He just wants to stay young and have fun. "Numbers" starts off with a optimistic tempo. As soon as it starts, you are struck by a count to three which relates to the title. I felt that it represented chances and people. So many of young artists are undiscovered and Hoodie is lucky to have been the "one in a million." "Get It On The Low" is a also tranquil yet cheerful track. It makes you want to bob your head to the beat while watching the cars and trees pass you. "The Real Thing" shows that underneath all the fun that Hoodie has, he still is realistic.

People sure are talking about Hoodie's new album. It has been second on  both the R&B/Hip-Hop and Rap charts. Get ready to be all about it and don't act your age for once to have some fun while listening to Hoodie's rap tracks.