Z (EP) by SZA | Teen Ink

Z (EP) by SZA

By Claudia Iarikov SILVER, New York, New York
Claudia Iarikov SILVER, New York, New York

If you're a fan of Lana Del Rey's new album Ultraviolence, then SZA's neo soul and PR&B based album, Z, is definitely worth a listen. SZA, born as Solana Rowe, is the first female signee to Top Dawg Entertainment. Z features 10 tracks, each telling a story of SZA's past lovers and consist of bohemian vibes, stunningly powerful vocals, introspection, and jazzy melodies.

SZA's third EP, Z is by far her most impressive album yet. The ten chillwave songs describe stories of heartbreak and self questioning. Each track contains different elements and various genres. In an interview with Interview Magazine that took place a year before Z came out, SZA says, "People have called me every genre at this point, but I have no idea! I want people to get out  of that nasty habit of needing a label. Every genre for each song is different."

On Z, the soulful "Childs Play" describes an unrequited love story, comparing it to Barbie and Ken and Skipper's love triangle with lyrics like "Ken had it all, Skipper wanted more. Watching from the sidelines, she wish that she had it." The more upbeat "Julia" features metaphorical lyrics such as "Loving alone is what you make it. Stay for the storm if you can take it, but pray for a raincoat." "Warm Winds" describes SZA's self doubt with lyrics like "Hey, glory child, don't you worry. Doubting only made your vision blurry. You're better off just looking in the mirror." "Babylon" featuring Kendrick Lammar is a haunting four minutes of futuristic R&B about SZA turning down a man who loved her. The rest of her EP includes the songs “Omega,” “Ur,” “HiiiJack,” “Sweet November,” and “Green Mile.”
   Z is unlike typical albums of today; it avoids cyclical pop melodies and doesn't have cliche lyrics about being broken hearted. Z is weird yet beautiful and listening to it will leave you in a trance. SZA definitely didn't disappoint with her third EP and left me anxious for the next album.